Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all,
Due to initial misjudgment of pool size, too much salt was added and ppm ended up at 4200 for 3600ppm ideal per SWG user manual. At the same time water hardness was very low at 90ppm. Several water corrections were made including adding some Hardness + to try to bring harness closer to 450 ideal. Side effect of Harness + I believe is that it increased the salt level again and now I am at about salt 4600ppm (SWG sometimes blinking high salt) with hardness at 270ppm.

Questions:
a) Is there a way to increase hardness without increasing salt level?
b) I have read that salt does not evaporate so that only "suggested way" to lower salt level is to drain out some of the pool water and replace with "fresh water". Is there not a way to "capture" some of the salt content in the pool by floating solid chemical X inside the pool for a few few days / remove / test / repeat as need be?

Sorry for the rookie questions :geek:

Did you use a salt test kit (Taylor K-1766) to determine your salt level?
So sorry, but the only way to deliberately get rid of excess salt is thru a drain/refill.

Just drain about 1/4 of your water and refill and retest.
You'll want to add calcium after that either way. Go slow on both and sneak up on your goal level.

Maddie :flower:

I used some aquachek test stripes (just for the salt test) and the readings have been repeated twice in a week. I guess I can't add calcium before I lower the salt level by draining... I'll get to it - thanks

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.