High pool filter pressure

Drb1

Jul 11, 2020
Buffalo New York
After a backwash and new DE media I now have high pressure in the filter within a week. I also use a variable pump which I mainly run on low speeds. I have always been able to run the lowest speeds with no flow problems since I've had this setup. The problem I am having is after a while on the low speed the flow is so low that my SWG quits producing chlorine due to low flow. I backwashed and replaced media yesterday and the problem occur again within 12 hrs. Today after backwashing I took the filter apart and cleaned looking for a blockage but found none. The PSI now has been starting close to 20PSI. In the past it would of been around 14. I took some pics and have a few ?'s. The first pic of the filter shows the [finger], should it be covered with that hard yellow plastic? Does it even matter? The second pic shows me blowing air tru the elements with a vacuum. Should they bellow up like that? Is air bigger than water? I would think if air has a problem getting tru then so would water. Any help or suggestionsIMG_2161.jpgIMG_2164.jpgIMG_2162.jpg would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2163.jpg
    IMG_2163.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 3
Just clean grids and they were very clean. Just started pool back up, on high speed psi was 16 with no media and 17 after I put the earth in. Med Speed is 10 psi and low speed = 4 psi. Both readings with the media in. Grids were clean with just hose. Any thoughts on the grids filling up and holding air like the pic showed?

Thanks
Daren

I agree with @ajw22 - sounds like a developing algae problem. I had the same issue several years ago and it turned out to be my first algae bloom I’d ever had, when is why I mistakenly thought it was a filter problem. The water looked clear. After taking the grids into a Leslie’s and having them confirm that they were fine, I did a SLAM and problem was solved.

Just clean by hosing off. Is there a recommended product for cleaning? Prefer not to use Murtic Acid.
Hosing off your grids is really all you need to do, assuming you have a sprayer that lets you get down in between each one (which also assumes you’re not disassembling them.) I’ve used a spray-on degreaser from time to time, but found it unnecessary for my pool.

Is there anything we need to do when cleaning the filter fingers other than hosing off and cleaning out the tank? Is acid washing necessary?
Hosing off works fine for my filter. I’ve never even considered an acid wash, as I don’t know that the media can take anything as harsh as acid. I’ve used a spray-on degreaser before, but it’s not really necessary, at least for my pool. If we have a party and there’s lots of swimmers with lots of sunscreen, I might use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.