High Phosphate Levels

May 1, 2018
Bakersfield, CA
My phosphate levels are around 2500. I noticed my SWG was not keeping up. However, I also realized that I was low on CYA. I adjusted that yesterday and will see how the SWG keeps up. Should I be concerned about the level oh phosphates? Can I get that number down without using phosphate removers? I read that they are considered moderately toxic (lanthanum). My kids and wife are super sensitive to chemicals and I am not sure I want to add something that is moderately toxic. Is there another way to lower the phosphates, or should I just ignore it as long as my SWG can keep up when I have the correct CYA levels? Thank you.

Andrew

Your phosphate level is not a problem as long as you maintain a proper FC for your CYA following the FC/CYA Levels

Focus on your FC and CYA management and forget about phosphates. And stay out of the pool stores.

You do your own testing?

What test kit do you have?

Follow the FC/CYA Levels. With CYA of 50 your target FC is 6-8.

With a FC of 4 you are teetering on the minimum FC level to prevent algae which will then feast on your phosphates.

Reactions: afbatts
You’re right on target FC with a SWG. With a 50 CYA your minimum would be about 2.5 FC. I believe the lanthanum is suppose to bond with the phosphate into an insoluble compound which can then be filtered out, so lanthanum would be in your water at a much reduced concentration after it has done its job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.