guddylover

Jan 25, 2020
Toronto
I am hoping someone can relate here. I have a 15k gallon fiberglass pool and I have been dealing with high ph. I was following the 80-120ppm of TA, it’s at 105 right now, CYA at 68ppm now. Today I thought about making sure the water surface is calm while the pump is on, but it seem to be very difficult to do. I am thinking of running the pump at a lower speed but longer runtime. I just want to know the culprit of high ph in this case. Has anyone gotten away with higher or lower TA just to stabilize PH?

I was following the 80-120ppm of TA, it’s at 105 right now,
That's probably your biggest issue right now. Sounds like pool store or generic industry level recommendations. You can easily let the TA fall lower to about 70 and that should reduce the rate of pH increasing.

That's probably your biggest issue right now. Sounds like pool store or generic industry level recommendations. You can easily let the TA fall lower to about 70 and that should reduce the rate of pH increasing.

That’s what I thought. Thanks

It might also be helpful to know what the TA of your fill water is so you know it's effect on your pool. For example, my fill water has a TA of 70 so I really have no concerns for it having an effect on my TA and pH. My pool was filled with tankers last year and the TA level of the fill water was very high. My continual rising pH was a symptom of that high TA. Treat the symptom(high pH) and the root cause(high TA) will be corrected over time. By adding acid to lower/control pH, my pool's TA is now around 60-70. While I test pH every few days, it stays right at 7.8 with no intervention or further chemical additions necessary. TFP nirvana.......... A balanced pool.

It might also be helpful to know what the TA of your fill water is so you know it's effect on your pool. For example, my fill water has a TA of 70 so I really have no concerns for it having an effect on my TA and pH. My pool was filled with tankers last year and the TA level of the fill water was very high. My continual rising pH was a symptom of that high TA. Treat the symptom(high pH) and the root cause(high TA) will be corrected over time. By adding acid to lower/control pH, my pool's TA is now around 60-70. While I test pH every few days, it stays right at 7.8 with no intervention or further chemical additions necessary. TFP nirvana.......... A balanced pool.
I haven’t filled my pool since the start of the season, It has been getting filled with rainfall. I just want to know if lowering TA past the recommended 80-120ppm is ok. I am aiming for something below 80ppm. I get a lot of surface movement because my neighbors trees causes a lot of movement on the pool. Thanks for the response.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.