high Ph won’t come down

ktiz81

Jun 30, 2019
Michigan
Hi,

i didn’t know whether to post this in the water chem section or here.

but I have a new hot springs spa with the freshwater salt system.
Current water parameters:
ta 70
Ph 8.4
Fc 5
Salt 1800
Ch 50

everything is in balance according to manufacturer specs except I can’t get my ph to not climb after aeration.

Do I keep driving the Ta down even more?

I started with a very high Ta, and have brought that down into range, but additions of acid bring TA down more, and ph does not stay down.

hot tubs send PH through the roof :)

I kept my TA down at 40 or 50 and it helped a lot but you will still need to add acid weekly if not more depending on how much you use it... Mine had a small circulation pump so it only used the big pumps when I was in it and that would kick the PH real fast...

With a high TA fill water you will be adding acid a lot to keep it down, is what it is...

Reactions: Dirk
Hi,

i didn’t know whether to post this in the water chem section or here.

but I have a new hot springs spa with the freshwater salt system.
Current water parameters:
ta 70
Ph 8.4
Fc 5
Salt 1800
Ch 50

everything is in balance according to manufacturer specs except I can’t get my ph to not climb after aeration.

Do I keep driving the Ta down even more?

I started with a very high Ta, and have brought that down into range, but additions of acid bring TA down more, and ph does not stay down.
Just for another reference point, I too have a brand new hot springs spa with the freshwater salt system. Mine is behaving the same. I just keep pushing the TA down, but I try to do it a little at a time so it doesn't end up too low. Learned something here though - aeration increases pH. The support guy from the dealership didn't tell me that of course. Thanks cowboycasey and Dirk

Reactions: cowboycasey
hot tubs send PH through the roof :)

I kept my TA down at 40 or 50 and it helped a lot but you will still need to add acid weekly if not more depending on how much you use it... Mine had a small circulation pump so it only used the big pumps when I was in it and that would kick the PH real fast...

With a high TA fill water you will be adding acid a lot to keep it down, is what it is...

I do the same thing. I actually have very low TA in my tap, and was increasing it to 80 per manufacturing recs. My PH would stay high, and I'd have to add muriatic acid every 2 or 3 days to keep it down. Gradually my TA has been driven down to about 40, and I find that my acid requirements are much less now, I can go for a week before it creeps from 7.4 back up to 7.6. I think on the next fill I'll prob just leave it alone.

Note, I do have borates at 50 which is supposed to help with buffering of PH i believe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.