High PH - low Alkalinity -- SWG

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All,

I've been smooth sailing for some time and am now in a tricky spot with my SWG. TA has been hovering around 50/55. not too bad but a bit lower than I'd like. PH hovering around 7.8. not too high but near the top of range.

Yesterday PH went to about 8.0 and I used Leslies Dry Acid to lower PH to about 7.3. Then TA dipped to 45. I used Leslies Soda Ash to raise TA, fearing it would also raise PH and PH went up to 7.8.

Chlorine around 6 and stable. CYA about 50.

How can I get TA to the 60-80 range without raising PH off the charts? 2 years with SWG and never had them so far apart.

Thanks!

Jeff

Thanks Richard! Very helpful. I need something which will decrease TA without much effect on PH and 1/4 of the price - can't beat that. Perfect.

Is there a good substitute for dry acid?

For the record - I have definitely read about this in the past in the past on Pool School - it is definitely time for a refresher!

Thanks again!

Jeff

I would not recommend a TA lower than 60 as that can cause wide swings in the pH level.

Use Muratic Acid instead of dry acid. Your pH will stabilize with out much drift up if the TA is 60-70 and the only source of aeration is the SWG.

The TA typically should not need to go below 60. However, even if the TA is lower, the pH won't suddenly go up or down by itself.

For the pH to suddenly move a lot, something acidic or basic needs to be added.

The pH can be perfectly stable for long periods of time at a 40 TA as long as no one's dumping in acid or pH increaser.

In any case, I agree that 60 should be low enough for most pools, especially if the pH is allowed to stay at 7.8 .

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.