High PH every 30 days or so

dw9000

Aug 17, 2014
NW Ohio
I've had my pool 5+ summers so I am not a newbie. Normally I bring the PH down at the beginning of the season and it stays down for the most part of the 3-4 month pool season here in Northern Ohio. Last year, I had high PH, noticed the pool robot had a white powdery coating. I added a full gal of muratic acid. Brought it down to normal within a couple hours. 30 days later, same thing.
I didn''t do a full battery of water tests, but I am certain my chlorine is normal, my CYA is normal, Alkalinity normal, etc. I tested it earlier and sure as Darn the PH is high again, after adding muratic maybe 30 days ago. Is it normal to have to add a 1/2 to full gal of muratic acid every 30 or so days to keep the PH down?
BTW - I bought a spray bottle of CLR and it cleaned up the pool robot, the pool ladders, etc. That stuff is magnificent.

That doesn’t sound too extreme, we have high TA fill water and a spillway we run when we’re using the pool. 1/2 gallons for a ~12k pool is pretty standard every week. Also might depend what PH you’re targeting, the lower your target or addition level the more frequently you’ll add.

Borates might help a bit too, but don’t expect miracles. Probably costs a lot more than the $5-10 a month in MA you’re adding.

Are you tracking CSI? I inherited scaling which is a PITA so I’d be far more concerned about that.

Maybe post us full test results and TA/CH levels from your fill water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.