High pH after neglecting pool all fall?

Nov 9, 2011
Albany, NY
I have been waiting all fall for my water temp to drop before closing .... the same thing I have done the past four or five years. During this time I get leaves in it and it turns greenish and before closing I get it cleaned up again and have had no issues when opening in the spring. I've never tested pH in the fall but it was fine every time I opened it. This year I tested pH and it was off the charts high (Chlorine was at 9ppm so high but in theory not high enough to impact pH reading).

Does this make sense? Normally my pH is very stable all summer and I may end up adding MA once if at all.

If it's normal does it make sense the pH would drop over the winter? Would the cold temp (54 degrees) make a difference?

In any case I had some MA on hand and added a bit yesterday but didn't want to overdo it

You should not close with your pH out of the 7's.....not good practice. Bring it down to around 7.5.

I would also test TA and CH before closing and make sure they are in suggested ranges.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.