High? Head Pump

I use a 3/4hp regular above ground low/no head pump for a 15ft lift no problem so I think that extremepower looks like it would probably do it. Not sure about the Intex.

Are you using panels though or a DIY long tube setup? The long tube adds a ton of head.

I use a 3/4hp regular above ground low/no head pump for a 15ft lift no problem so I think that extremepower looks like it would probably do it. Not sure about the Intex.

Are you using panels though or a DIY long tube setup? The long tube adds a ton of head.
I am planning to use the Fafco Solar Bear panels, like you. I see that you are from Northern California also, do you need to do anything to the solar panels for winter?

I am planning to use the Fafco Solar Bear panels, like you. I see that you are from Northern California also, do you need to do anything to the solar panels for winter?
Nice.

I won't be doing anything but it's my first winter with them. I have a VRV on them so they always drain when the pump's off. One thing I missed in my installation was to slant the array just slightly towards the inlet for better drainage, since I didn't do that there will be a small amount of standing water in the bottom header but I'm not too worried about it.

I'll try to think of a list of tips from my installation, happy to answer questions.

Do you have a sloped roof with enough space to mount the panel(s) vertically on the slope? And is it on the house or an accessory structure? Mine's on a carport and one thing I learned is I'd never put panels on my house roof.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but either pump should be able to handle 9'. The Intex has a max head of around 33' of head which should give plenty of head room. theXtremepowerUS has a max head of around 36' so similar to the Intex although I think they are claiming 4500 GPH vs the Intex of 3100 GPH. So the XtremepowerUS is probably a slightly larger pump.

For the Intex 26651EG, I used the CEC data from my database spreadsheet:

(row 228, column V)

For the XtremepowerUS, I used this:

(Hmax: 12m)

Reactions: hwy17 and JamesW
When a pump lists GPH instead of GPM, that's usually a bad sign as far as performance and quality goes.

Also, the max head loss happens at zero flow, so we would really need to see a performance curve or a chart for performance showing flow and pressure for at least 5 points.

Whenever a pump manufacturer does not provide this information, it usually indicates a lower quality pump.

The question is, will the pump provide enough flow for the system at the total head loss for the system?

The CEC data has three operating points which is more than sufficient to fix a head curve to. Technically, you only need two points to fit a head curve since it is parabolic (max head on the y-axis). I suspect the head curve for the two pumps are not all that different given the max head and the max flow rate specifications are similar.

Curve-B (0.05) has an operating point of 24 GPM @ 29' of head. So 20' of margin for the plumbing assuming a worst case curve of 0.05.

So I would be comfortable using either pump for a 9' lift. Not ideal but it should work ok.

Last edited:
Reactions: hwy17 and JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.