High FC Slam and Swimming

Jul 13, 2014
Charlotte, nc
I’m in the middle of my slam. I have not passed an OCLT yet but I know I’m close and may pause for a weekend pool party. It’s tuesday and cloudy. Pool party Saturday.

CYA is higher than I would like @ 80 so Ive been maintaining slam FC of 31.

My question is this, I’m concerned my FC will not drop by the weekend to be at a target of ~9ppm. What are my options? And are there concerns swimming in 20+ FC at CYA of 80.

FC 31
Ph 8.0
Alk 120
CYA 80

Re: High FC Slam and Swimming

It is safe to swim with FC up to shock level for your CYA. I've done the swim and SLAM a couple of times. Nobody knew the FC was 28 ppm except for me.

No, you can't trust that pH test. The pH test is not accurate when the FC is >10. Best thing to do is catch it when your FC drops to less than 10, or let the FC drop to test.

Also don't bother performing an OCLT until you are perfectly clear... its a waste of reagents to do so earlier as you won't be meeting the other two elements for ending the SLAM: CCs < 0.5. , Clear water, OCLT of 1 or less.

Maddie :flower:

How does high FC skew pH? Up or down?
When operating at a high CYA of 80 or 90 and a target FC of 10+, pH readings can’t be trusted. I realize it would be ideal to test when FC is below 10, but is there any calculation to determine the skew?

FC 31
PH 8.2
AK 120
CYA 80

Nope.

Just like that picture of the comparator block in the other thread shows, it messes with it. Makes it look like pH is higher than it is and you might accidentally treat that with out realizing its a false result.

I know of no way to neutralize the chlorine so that the test is accurate.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And a reading of 8.2 on a pH test that reads up to 8.2 could actually be much higher. 9.0 also looks like 8.2 because that is as much color change as the reagent can produce. I find that sometimes my pH reading is low when FC is high, maybe because the color is bleached out or something. I don't know, but i don't find that it always reads high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.