High FC but still cloudy

Pics of the pump and skimmer. We borrowed my brother in law’s vacuum attachment but would like to get our own if we can get the setup figured out. What do you recommend getting?
1590183528786.png
Whichever way the handle points, the opposite side is closed. Right now each valve is set to 50/50. So turn the handle on the left one way and see what shuts off. Then turn it the other way. If one way shuts off both skimmers, they're teed together and the other should kill the main drain, which you figure by process of elimination. More likely, but not guaranteed, each skimmer gets shut off individually. That means the drain is then plumbed through a skimmer.

We;ll stop at this step and wait for your report.

Attachments

• 1590183504066.png
    1590183504066.png
    651 bytes · Views: 2
View attachment 140928
Whichever way the handle points, the opposite side is closed. Right now each valve is set to 50/50. So turn the handle on the left one way and see what shuts off. Then turn it the other way. If one way shuts off both skimmers, they're teed together and the other should kill the main drain, which you figure by process of elimination. More likely, but not guaranteed, each skimmer gets shut off individually. That means the drain is then plumbed through a skimmer.

We;ll stop at this step and wait for your report.
Turned the handle to the left from center and that shuts both skimmers off. Leaving the handle centered (like original pic), both skimmers have slight suction and turning the handle all the way right, both skimmers have strong suction.

Attachments

• 5BD4634C-FC21-48C6-A59F-13C15AC57BBD.jpeg
    5BD4634C-FC21-48C6-A59F-13C15AC57BBD.jpeg
    98.8 KB · Views: 2
  • D8C70B74-37A8-4C6A-8C5C-E58BC771BA17.jpeg
    D8C70B74-37A8-4C6A-8C5C-E58BC771BA17.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Flying Tivo
Turned the handle to the left from center and that shuts both skimmers off. Leaving the handle centered (like original pic), both skimmers have slight suction and turning the handle all the way right, both skimmers have strong suction.
That's excellent. You can shut off the main drain which will increase suction to the vacuum. Then you need to figure out how to close one of the skimmers. A tennis ball might work, but it must be quite a bit larger than the suction hole or it could get sucked in. A strong piece of plastic, maybe? You'll likely have to stop the pump to get it peeled off again.

Close off the main drain and cap one skimmer and you'll have more suction than you ever imagined. So much that you may actually have to open the drain a little to reduce it so you can move the vacuum.

My vacuum is pretty plain. I bought it at Lowes. I also bought the hose at Lowes. The hose is a lot smaller than the inlet so I found a plumbing coupler that is threaded on one end that just fits inside the opening in the skimmer and the hose fits pretty snug just pushed into the threaded end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allykeep
That's excellent. You can shut off the main drain which will increase suction to the vacuum. Then you need to figure out how to close one of the skimmers. A tennis ball might work, but it must be quite a bit larger than the suction hole or it could get sucked in. A strong piece of plastic, maybe? You'll likely have to stop the pump to get it peeled off again.

Close off the main drain and cap one skimmer and you'll have more suction than you ever imagined. So much that you may actually have to open the drain a little to reduce it so you can move the vacuum.

My vacuum is pretty plain. I bought it at Lowes. I also bought the hose at Lowes. The hose is a lot smaller than the inlet so I found a plumbing coupler that is threaded on one end that just fits inside the opening in the skimmer and the hose fits pretty snug just pushed into the threaded end.
Bought this setup today and tested it. Turned the valve all the way to the right (where skimmer suction was greatest) and plugged one of the skimmers. Suction was strong when the jets were flowing. However, they would cut off and decrease vacuum suction in the process. We didn’t change anything to cause them to turn off, I’m sure it’s pressure related.
On another note: SLAM numbers are looking better. FC has come down to 18, CC zero, TA 130, CH 375, CYA 30, salt 3100. Plan to allow the FC to lower to 12 and continue the SLAM process until all sediment is gone. Will only use liquid bleach and leave chlorinator off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 0
Bought this setup today and tested it. Turned the valve all the way to the right (where skimmer suction was greatest) and plugged one of the skimmers. Suction was strong when the jets were flowing. However, they would cut off and decrease vacuum suction in the process. We didn’t change anything to cause them to turn off, I’m sure it’s pressure related.
On another note: SLAM numbers are looking better. FC has come down to 18, CC zero, TA 130, CH 375, CYA 30, salt 3100. Plan to allow the FC to lower to 12 and continue the SLAM process until all sediment is gone. Will only use liquid bleach and leave chlorinator off.
It's normal that the pump might make more noise and the pressure drops and the flow decreases while vacuuming. You just restricted the intake flow. That's a lot of extra distance to suck the water through and it's a smaller diameter and its twisty. As long as it goes back to sounding normal and flowing strong when you're done you're fine.

But to be sure, you did get the air out of the hose before you hooked up, didn't you? Otherwise that'll make you lose prime. I set the vacuum head in the pool, hose connected, and then feed the hose in holding it vertical as I push it below the surface. That pushes any air out. Then when the hose is full, I shove it through the skimmer throat and plug it in. l

It's normal that the pump might make more noise and the pressure drops and the flow decreases while vacuuming. You just restricted the intake flow. That's a lot of extra distance to suck the water through and it's a smaller diameter and its twisty. As long as it goes back to sounding normal and flowing strong when you're done you're fine.

But to be sure, you did get the air out of the hose before you hooked up, didn't you? Otherwise that'll make you lose prime. I set the vacuum head in the pool, hose connected, and then feed the hose in holding it vertical as I push it below the surface. That pushes any air out. Then when the hose is full, I shove it through the skimmer throat and plug it in. l
We did. I tried again using your priming method and it went much better. Thank you! I am noticing there is hardly any sediment so hopefully we are even closer to completing the SLAM process. Thanks so much!

We did. I tried again using your priming method and it went much better. Thank you! I am noticing there is hardly any sediment so hopefully we are even closer to completing the SLAM process. Thanks so much!
Just wait. It's going to get better and better. Maintain pH and FC, brush, and vacuum. In a week you will understand the term crystalline. On a still overcast morning you might glance out and panic because the pool will look empty. Not kidding. And you will be the one bragging that you can toss a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.