High FC burn off rate?

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
Hello again. I am looking for validation that I am doing this TFP Pool care right. I am burning off FC at a rate of about 5 ppm per day. I have added a gallon of 10% chlorine every night for the past week. I did an overnight chlorine test and lost about 0.2 ppm. Is it normal that I should be adding so much chlorine every day? I am getting the chlorine from Home Depot and it is fresh. The last batch was 19 169, which if I calculate correctly, should be mid-June.

Test results from 7/6: FC 4.5, CC 0.5, PH 7.5, TA 70, CH 350, CYA 50, water temp 88, CSI -0.11
Added a gallon of 10% last night.
Pool level was down about an inch, so I did a fill today and forgot about it for about 2 hours too long :eek: so I reran all tests tonight.

Test results from 7/7: FC 4.0, CC 0, PH 7.6, TA 70, CH 330, CYA 40, water temp 89, CSI -0.02
Added a gallon of 10% about an hour ago. (I started adding the chlorine at night a few weeks ago, since it seems to burn off so fast during the daytime).

Is it normal to burn off 5 ppm a day? My pool looks good, water is clear. When I converted to liquid chlorine, I guess I just didn't expect to use this much of it.

In the height of summer, it is not an unusual amount. My pool consumes about the same. You will find it will be lower on those cloudy days. And it will slack off in a month or so.

I see you have an ozonator. Those do consume a little of the chlorine, if functional.

The ozonator is functional. After reading on TFP, I realize that we don't really need it. When it dies, I doubt we will replace it.

I am so grateful for all the good info on this site. Thanks for your patience and feedback!

Hello again. I am looking for validation that I am doing this TFP Pool care right. I am burning off FC at a rate of about 5 ppm per day. I have added a gallon of 10% chlorine every night for the past week. I did an overnight chlorine test and lost about 0.2 ppm. Is it normal that I should be adding so much chlorine every day? I am getting the chlorine from Home Depot and it is fresh. The last batch was 19 169, which if I calculate correctly, should be mid-June.

Test results from 7/6: FC 4.5, CC 0.5, PH 7.5, TA 70, CH 350, CYA 50, water temp 88, CSI -0.11
Added a gallon of 10% last night.
Pool level was down about an inch, so I did a fill today and forgot about it for about 2 hours too long :eek: so I reran all tests tonight.

Test results from 7/7: FC 4.0, CC 0, PH 7.6, TA 70, CH 330, CYA 40, water temp 89, CSI -0.02
Added a gallon of 10% about an hour ago. (I started adding the chlorine at night a few weeks ago, since it seems to burn off so fast during the daytime).

Is it normal to burn off 5 ppm a day? My pool looks good, water is clear. When I converted to liquid chlorine, I guess I just didn't expect to use this much of it.
I burn about that much here lately as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.