High CYA

skyfly27

Apr 5, 2021
Springfield Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Newbie here....I have high CYA level, it's reading below the 100 mark on the Taylor 2006-C test kit. Below is the rest of my test results....
FC 5 (I understand that my goal should be much higher according to the CYA/Chlorine chart. I've been keeping it higher than this).
TA 130
CYA >100
pH 8
CH 300

My question is this. We are still probably about a month out from swimming as it isn't quite warm enough here. I understand in order to get my CYA down I will need to drain nd refill. How much should I drain? Is there any problem refilling with our well water? I haven't had our well water tested, but I do know there is iron present as you can see staining in my toilets. Should I even mess with trying to balance the chemicals before I drain? How do I go about draining? Do I leave it open to the skimmer and the main drain, but just turn the filter to "waste"? Thank you!

Do the CYA dilution test so we know better how much you need to drain...

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.

If you need to dilute the pool water further then apply these ratios:[4]

Pool waterTap or distilled waterMultiply result by

Note that when doing a diluted test not only do you multiply the range of the test you multiply the error rate of the test, so results are a ballpark - not an absolute.

See CYA Testing for tips in how to read the test results.

3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.

Note that when doing a diluted test not only do you multiply the range of the test you multiply the error rate of the test, so results are a ballpark - not an absolute.

Thanks! I will do that and report back!

3. Shake briefly to mix.

I completed the above test with tap water and got a cya result of 100. Any recommendations on how much water I should drain to lower my level? What cya level should I be aiming for? In addition, I have well water with iron. Is there some kind of filter I should put on my hose in order to filter out the iron before putting that in the pool?

I completed the above test with tap water and got a cya result of 100.

To be clear, you did the 50% dilution test, got 50, and doubled it for 100?
Any recommendations on how much water I should drain to lower my level?

If your CYA is 100 and target is 30 you need to drain or exchange around 70%.

Read about the Water Exchange process at Draining - Further Reading

What cya level should I be aiming for?
How will you chlorinate your pool?

Cya 30-40

Recommended Levels
In addition, I have well water with iron. Is there some kind of filter I should put on my hose in order to filter out the iron before putting that in the pool?

To be clear, you did the 50% dilution test, got 50, and doubled it for 100?
Yes that is correct
If your CYA is 100 and target is 30 you need to drain or exchange around 70%.

Read about the Water Exchange process at Draining - Further Reading

How will you chlorinate your pool?
I am currently using liquid chlorine 12.5%. I understand that the tablets and other products with fillers will just increase my cya levels even more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.