Jul 11, 2018
Surprise,AZ
My pool is just a few weeks old and has high CYA already. I have read pool school and pretty much everything on the site..Short of emptying half of my pool..how can I lower my CYA? I am waiting for my T-100 to come in, but have had my water tested at 2 different places..and the numbers are almost identical.

FC-9
PH-7.9
TA- 81
CH-270
CYA-72

CYA was 64 last week..so it is rising. Any advice would be appreciated.

It sounds like you’re currently trusting pool store testing. You have rightly invested in a good test kit, so you’re headed in the right direction. I’m guessing you are using pucks for chlorination. If so, stop now and switch to liquid chlorine and wait for your test kit. You need to test your CYA with your test kit before getting good advice.

Some good reading for you in the meantime:

ABCs of pool chemistry

And in case you do have high CYA:

Draining - Further Reading

Reactions: HermanTX
My pool is just a few weeks old and has high CYA already. I have read pool school and pretty much everything on the site..Short of emptying half of my pool..how can I lower my CYA? I am waiting for my T-100 to come in, but have had my water tested at 2 different places..and the numbers are almost identical.

FC-9
PH-7.9
TA- 81
CH-270
CYA-72

CYA was 64 last week..so it is rising. Any advice would be appreciated.
Tell us how you are chlorinating your pool. In your signature it does not indicate a SWG or an inline Chlorinator (for 3" pucks).
Pucks are the main reason for CYA to increase so need to stop that and switch to liquid Chlorine if you do not have a SWG.

Reactions: CraigChing
Yeah, wait for your test kit so you can get real results, and in the meantime, use LC.

With the exception of the first week (what the pool company put it)..it has only been liquid chlorine.
Great that you are using liquid chlorine. Do not use pucks as those will definitely increase CYA.

Ok - CYA of 70 is not terrible and it is a test by a pool store. So they are very inconsistent in their tests due to contamination from 1 test to another.
Just wait until you receive your own test kit and do your own FC and CYA test.
You may want to review the videos - YouTube for Testing Chemicals
TF100TestKit

Don't be alarmed with results of your first test because you will gain confidence as you continue to test.
Also, for your CYA test, if you are unsure of your result, you can pour the solution back into the squeeze bottle and redo without having to make another mixture. (This will make sense when you receive your test kit and look at the test instructions)
Good Luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.