High CYA?

Gregconover

Bronze Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Southern New Jersey
Hey all,

Just getting started on the TFP method. I picked up the complete test kit from Leslie's (Taylor product, not sure of correlating Taylor number.)

Started today with a CYA test and found it was at 75. Per the app this is high. In the past I had been using chlorine pucks along with liquid chlorine and using strips to give it a best guess. I saw on a search (and an article here I believe) that the chlorine pucks can increase CYA over time.

After CYA I figured I would test pH before I took any other actions. The pH was low, to the point that 10 drops of the Base demand reagent still did not get me to 7.0.

Since this was my first-day testing, I was planning on doing another test tomorrow to confirm. If I get the same results I am looking for some guidance and help if anyone has it.

My pool is inground, with a vinyl liner and about 24000 gallons.

Happy to give more information and looking forward to any help you all have!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: More than likely, the Taylor kit you have will also need the FAS-DPD to make that kit a K-2006. Then you'll be good. If the pH is as low as I think, the TA may be extremely low as well. Take action to raise those as soon as you verify. See the link below for info on how to adjust. Have a nice weekend. :swim:

Reactions: Gregconover
I should mention that if you chose to exchange water first to lower the CYA a bit, do that before treating the pH and TA so you don't waste chemicals. If you decide the leave the CYA where it is (80), make sure to use our FC/CYA Levels to keep the FC at the appropriate level for that CYA to avoid algae.

Thanks for the reply! Just went and tested TA twice. The solution was red when I added the R-0008, which I believe is showing it is very low.

So my next actions are adding baking soda. Pool math has 25 pounds listed for a TA of 0, 21 for 10 and 18 pounds for 20. Since I did not even add a drop of R-0009 before the solution was red, I am assuming I am on the low side. Is adding 10 pounds at a time a decent idea?

IMG_20200717_154137652.jpg

I know the info I can give the easier it is for everyone to help me. I attached my pool testing kit in a picture.

Your test kit looks like a Taylor K2005c, which is ok, but you’re missing the FAS-DPD chlorine test. If you ever need to maintain high FC (>10ppm), e.g. SLAM or high CYA, you’ll want a FAS-DPD test which you can add separately.

@Gregconover, how's the pH and TA elevation process going? Did you ever manage to get those two back up to something reasonable? PH in the mid 7s and TA at least above 50? As noted above, just grab one of THESE and your K-2005 will be a K-2006 test kit. You'll have the ability to perform pinpoint accurate FC and CC testing.

@Gregconover, how's the pH and TA elevation process going? Did you ever manage to get those two back up to something reasonable? PH in the mid 7s and TA at least above 50? As noted above, just grab one of THESE and your K-2005 will be a K-2006 test kit. You'll have the ability to perform pinpoint accurate FC and CC testing.

Just wrapped up testing this morning. I have a readable TA, although only 30. pH is still low, have put 16 pounds of borax in over the weekend. Added 20 pounds of Baking Soda so far, have more coming today to add to keep TA going up.

Ordered the addition you posted to my kit, so hoping that is in soon. Took my FC readings just to get some practice, and it was low on Sunday, but back to about 9ppm. Can see why I need the kit, definitely tough to read with the higher FC.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.