High CYA no chlorine reading

Jul 15, 2017
Warminster, PA
The pool is balanced except for the CYA and chlorine.
CYA - 100
FC - 0.24
TC - 0.33

Everyday there are small patches of algae, which is easily brushable and disappears.

On Thursday, I shocked with 2 bags. Next day no chlorine and patches of algae. On Friday, I shocked with 3 bags and with in 7 hours the pool had no reading of chlorine.

I know with high CYA levels you need to keep FC higher as well. How do you do that? Do you need to shock everyday and how much is needed to put in to reach that level?

I looked back to my numbers from last year and my CYA was just as high but I had chlorine readings. So I don't understand why I have the issue this year.

Is my only solution to drain the pool and refill? I don't have any place to drain the water to. We are not allowed to drain it in the street.

Any help or advice, I'd appreciate.
Thanks!

Welcome to TFP :)

How are you testing your water? We advocate testing your water with accurate drop based kits and feeding it what it needs. You have algae because your chlorine is too low for that CYA level. Here are some links that can help get you on your way to a trouble free pool if you want to learn to take control of the pool :)

The SLAM process is what you should follow to clear up all algae.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Pool School - Test Kits Compared

Unfortunately, pool $tore testing is not reliable. As you are finding out. If you have been following the puck and shock method that they recommend, your CYA is probably much higher than 100. That's as high as the test usually goes.
To fix your pool, you are going to need to take control of the testing and only add what your pool needs.

To answer your question, we only recommend liquid chlorine. Available in a number of forms, from common household bleach, up to stronger stuff. I use Walmart bleach. Plain, no smells, no splashless.
For testing I use the TF -100 kit from Tftestkits.net

The pool is balanced except for the CYA and chlorine.
CYA - 100
FC - 0.24
TC - 0.33

Everyday there are small patches of algae, which is easily brushable and disappears.

On Thursday, I shocked with 2 bags. Next day no chlorine and patches of algae. On Friday, I shocked with 3 bags and with in 7 hours the pool had no reading of chlorine.

I know with high CYA levels you need to keep FC higher as well. How do you do that? Do you need to shock everyday and how much is needed to put in to reach that level?

I looked back to my numbers from last year and my CYA was just as high but I had chlorine readings. So I don't understand why I have the issue this year.

Is my only solution to drain the pool and refill? I don't have any place to drain the water to. We are not allowed to drain it in the street.

Any help or advice, I'd appreciate.
Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

What are these 'bags of shock' you are using.

All forms of dry chlorine add either CYA or calcium as well. You should be using liquid chlorine, aka bleach.

If the CYA of 100ppm is accurate, you are looking at a partial drain to lower. At that CYA level, your shock FC is 40ppm, with a daily FC target of 12-15ppm.

Please let us know how you are testing, and how you daily chlorinate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.