High CYA levels...can I fix myself?

mcj115

Bronze Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Hershey, Pa
I am finally opening the pool for the summer. As I am doing readings (K2006) my CYA leaves are high. 100+. I don't always do the complete test but last year the CYA was 80ish mid summer. So I am fairly sure the reading is accurate.

I don't think anyone can argue that 100 is too high and I need to drop the levels. It seems there is one fix for high CYA....drain and refill. So my question...is that something that I can do myself? Drain the pool the bottom of the skimmers and refill on a daily basis for a week or two?

Or do I need to acquire a pump drain the pool half way then have a water company come and fill?

What methods of drain and refill have worked for you?

Welcome to the forum.

There are various issues that need to be reviewed for a drain. A complete signature will help us.
Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Also depends on water table level in your area. Do you know what that is?

If you do as you state, you can do some math and see it will take huge amounts of water to achieve it.

Let us know some details on your pool and we can provide some feedback.

Take care.

I am finally opening the pool for the summer. As I am doing readings (K2006) my CYA leaves are high. 100+. I don't always do the complete test but last year the CYA was 80ish mid summer. So I am fairly sure the reading is accurate.

I don't think anyone can argue that 100 is too high and I need to drop the levels. It seems there is one fix for high CYA....drain and refill. So my question...is that something that I can do myself? Drain the pool the bottom of the skimmers and refill on a daily basis for a week or two?

Or do I need to acquire a pump drain the pool half way then have a water company come and fill?

What methods of drain and refill have worked for you?

Welcome.

I just went through that about a month ago. My CYA was about 150 - 170...in any event I calculated that about 2/3 of the volume would need to come out...roughly 23,000 gallons. I just opened up the filter to discharge and let her rip. If I recall correctly - it took about seven hours or so to drain and about 2 1/2 days to refill.

I have a well dedicated to the pool and lawn watering - so the cost was little to nothing to refill for me.

Do you have well water or city water? What is your pool volume?

What do you use for clorine? I ask because 80 cya last year should be less cya this year unless you are ruining your pool from solid forms of clorine. I do ask because if you had 80 last year you should be in good shape this year, I don't want you to go through all this work and have to do it again in two years from pool store products.

You should do the dilution method of the cya test so you can get a close reading on how high your cya is and how much water you need to replace.

Methods depend on your pool construction type, if your cya is low enough, 80-100, you can deal with it by watering your lawn and doing small top ups and then drain under skimmer to winterize. Over that or if you want easier mantiance ,draining consists of using the main drains and/or a sump pump to drain to the safe level for your pool type. If you need a bigger drain than your pool type allows there is a tarp method that works for near complete replacement.

Thanks for the great response! Signature updated with details---that I know.

For Chlorine, I generally open with hypoclorite, shock weekly with dichlor, and generally have a trichlor puck soaking in the floater.

Okay following the dilution method it appears my CYA is in the 110 range. So if my pool is ~35000 gallons then I need to drain ~2/3's...so I'll estimate I need to drain ~24,000 gallons to get in the CYA range of 35--ish. oy!

Stupid question it appears my pool has a main drain at the bottom of the deep end. I can't seem to find a setting on the valve that pulls from the drain. Any hints/tips/tricks to determine how to see if the main drain is connected or how it works?

Thanks for the signature update.

With what you chlorinate with, you now know why you have to drain. Solid forms of chlorine add something else you do not want too much off, either calcium or Cyanuric Acid.

So, this is your pool. So you will need to decide how you manage it going forward. This forum advocates the use of liquid chlorine or SWCG, not solid chlorine products as they tend to end in the spot you are in.

To drain, you have a vinyl pool. so you must never go below 1 foot of water left in the shallow end.

- - - Updated - - -

Typically it is best to use a sump pump to drain your pool. You may need to take additional precautions with your type of pool surface

Your pool appears quite similar to mine...if you have have a bottom drain and (2) skimmers - you would close off both skimmers via shut off valve(s) thus you would be pulling from bottom drain only...then turn the veriflo valve to backwash...does this clarify at all?

Also - that is good advice from the above post to pay attention to the water level with a vinyl liner and the use of a sump pump is the preferred method - for me - I had to drain using backwash as I did not have time for the sump pump to do it's job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.