High CYA, High Calcium, not sure what's next

I held the puck against the wall for 20 minutes in a spot with somewhat of a landmark (a black pebble that stood out). It seems like it lightened the stain. Both attached photos are of the wall.

Then I left it at the bottom of the pool on a section that looked stained, and it didn't seem to make a noticeable of a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpg
    IMG_9178.jpg
    503.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9179.jpg
    IMG_9179.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 11
If it was organic it would have cleared it up a lot more than that.

It did not turn black, that is a good sign.

Try the vitamin C.

yup. Or set it on the stain on bottom. Should react fairly quickly if iron.

Last one would be copper. That one is a more difficult.

One thing that has me puzzled is that overnight I'm still continuing to lose chlorine. At 8:27 last night, FC was 13, I brushed the walls and floor just prior to testing (mentioning in case it matters). This morning at 8:18am, FC was 10. I haven't come out of SLAM yet because I don't seem to have passed the OCLT yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I suppose emergenC would work. I wonder if the gummy versions are easier to rub under water? ;)... I'm being facetious. I was just trying to point out most people have some form of ascorbic acid already in their house or its easy to get locally

I see in your sig you have solar panels on your pool. Have you flushed them? Its possible you have algae hiding in those lines or in any other water feature on your pool.

Oh, totally. In most cases people do have a jar of vitamin-c supplements in their cabinet. After this Amazon order, so will I ;-) The reason for amazon is just that we're trying not to leave the house (especially not to go to a pharmacy) if we can help it still.

Yeah, we do have solar mats on the roof. I haven't flushed them out specifically, but water has been running through them during the daytime since the refill finished on May 11. It's on a goldline (I think. Something like this: Hayward Solar Pool Control Package) temperature sensor, so when the sun goes down, the valve shuts itself off so water isn't being pumped through at night.

Good Evening-

The ascorbic acid arrived this evening. I crushed up 15 tablets in a stocking and held it against an area of the stain for 10-15 minutes. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to make much difference. The area where I held the tri-chlor puck yesterday appears to be a bit clearer than it was yesterday, and appears to be more effective than the ascorbic acid.

If you are confident the puck made a difference, that would imply this is organic. Since it cannot be brushed away, you may want to try the method to address black algae. Not saying this is black algae, but the method may be worth trying.

Read. Black Algae - Trouble Free Pool

Yeah, it seemed to. There's even a more clear "streak" from the spot where I held the puck down the side of the sloped wall toward the floor as though it kind of "trickled" down the wall.

I'll get more frequent with the stainless steel brushing, and start to bring the FC levels down from the SLAM levels toward the upper end of the range for CYA 30.

Any thoughts on the swim-ability of the water at this point? The kids have been very patient so far. I don't want to rush it though if there's any chance the water is still unsafe.

You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool. pH in the 7's.

@GoGrabTheNet I've been looking forward to the next update too! ;-)

I hope everyone's having a good weekend. A quick update with some photos from yesterday. On Saturday, I threw 4 or 5 Tri-chlor pucks into the deep-end and let them sit there for a little while moving them around occasionally. At the same time, I jumped into the pool and spent an hour or so grinding another tri-chlor puck against the pebble on top of the stain. I'm going to declare a moderate victory. There's still a difference between this stained area and the surrounding walls, but I'm thinking that it's because I've probably been scrubbing this area pretty vigorously with the wire brush. Remember most of the pool has a coating of calcium on it that looks like a fine dusting of snow on the pebble. The good news though is that the stain is now no longer the yellow/brown color it was. The bad news is that it does seem slightly darker than the rest of the wall.

We let the kids in the pool on Sunday for the first time this year and had a blast, so things are looking up ;-)

Most recent set of test results:

FC: 4.8 (20 hours ago)
CC: 0.0 (20 hours ago)
pH: 7.6 (20 hours ago)
TA: 190 (2 days ago)
CH: 180 (6 days ago)
CYA: 30 (6 days ago) Need to re-test with the tri-chlor pucks. I figure about 1 whole puck ended up getting dissolved in total).

Early on in this journey, @JoyfulNoise mentioned doing a no-drain acid-wash (Zero-Alkalinity Treatment) to dissolve the calcium scale. Any thoughts on if that's the next step at this point? I would imagine, this would drop the TA (which needs to be done), and increase the CH (which also needs to be done).

Attachments

• IMG_9184.jpg
    IMG_9184.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9187.jpg
    IMG_9187.jpg
    564.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9186.jpg
    IMG_9186.jpg
    614.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9183.jpg
    IMG_9183.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9185.jpg
    IMG_9185.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.