High CYA and most likely copper....I need help!

duraleigh said:
Hopefully this is the end of this nightmare for me.
Control your pH, CH and TA levels and you will have no further problems. How often do you check pH? I would check it daily and keep it 7.2 - 7.5

Well, I used to check it once or twice a week. Now I will stay on top of it a little better. Right now it is low from the ascorbic acid, however following directions for this treatment, I will not adjust anything until tomorrow when I will raise the pH to 7.2 and begin bringing the FC up with bleach.

Bring the chlorine up slowly. Shocking can reoxidize the iron and cause it to stain again. You should try to avoid ever shocking again by maintaining the FC at about 7.5 to 10 % of the cyanuric acid level. Adding a full dose of Poly 60 algaecide can help prevent algae while you are trying to regain the FC level. Using a maintenance dose of sequestrant periodically should help prevent further staining.

It's been almost a week since I did the stain treatment and it is still gone. I followed the directions from here as close as I could so I'm hoping it is gone fore good. I'm going to continue with the maintenance dose of the sequestering agent once a week for a few weeks...unless you all think that's unnecessary. It is taking a lot of bleach to keep FC in the pool because of all the AA i put in but it is getting better. Here are my levels today.

FC 3
TC 3
CH 190
pH 7.4
TA 100
CYA 55

Water is crystal clean and 75 degrees. My 7 year old and his buddy got in today, thanks to all the help here!

Normally, you would be "close enough" on your results but I think with your history I would adjust the numbers a little and keep them in that very narrow range. These are not normal guidelines but I think you need an extra safety margin because of the metal in your water.

pH - 7.2 - 7.5
FC - 4-6ppm
TA - 80-100
CH - below 250
CYA - 55 is just fine

Holding pH, TA and CH a little more restrictive than normal should keep you in a spot where you will never get the stains again. Keep you chlorine nice and even all season and enjoy your pool! Nice work!! :lol:

duraleigh said:
Normally, you would be "close enough" on your results but I think with your history I would adjust the numbers a little and keep them in that very narrow range. These are not normal guidelines but I think you need an extra safety margin because of the metal in your water.

pH - 7.2 - 7.5
FC - 4-6ppm
TA - 80-100
CH - below 250
CYA - 55 is just fine

Holding pH, TA and CH a little more restrictive than normal should keep you in a spot where you will never get the stains again. Keep you chlorine nice and even all season and enjoy your pool! Nice work!! :lol:

Ok, thanks for the advice.

duraleigh said:

pH - 7.2 - 7.5
FC - 4-6ppm
TA - 80-100
CH - below 250
CYA - 55 is just fine

It's been about 17 days since I did the AA treatment and I think I am noticing the stain again. I could be my imagination but I typically notice it on the main drain first. My levels have been consistant as you suggested in the above quote.

I read in the AA treatment thread linked here that if the stain starts to come back you can drop your ph back to 7.0 and add more sequestering agent to remove the stain. Will this work after 17 days or would I be better off doing another AA treatment with a small amount of AA and follow the directions all over again? Thanks.

I am now one week into my third AA treatment and so far, fingers crossed, the stain has not returned. This time I went with the Jack's Pink Stuff as the sequestering agent and went heavy on it.

I am going to stay with The Pink Stuff with weekly treatments for the next 4-6 weeks and see if that does the trick. Thanks again to all that have contributed in this thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.