High copper levels should I replace sand in filter?

dsci2003

May 23, 2024
Greenville, NC
New member. I made the mistake of using a solar ionizer that I have now thrown away and will switch to the TFP method. I have copper reading of 3 and it has stained the bottom of pool liner really bad with dark gray stains and pool hoses are now green.
From what I read the best way to remove copper is to drain and replace water. So I'm going to go ahead and replace the pool & buy a new 22' × 52" soft sided since the liner is stained so badly & current poles have some rust.
Due to all the copper that is seen when I backwash should I also go ahead and replace sand in the filter/pump?

Also when starting with new water 10,600 gallons is this the correct order to balance water: TA, Ph, CYA, & last FC?

Reactions: dsci2003

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240523_123718_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240523_123718_Gallery.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 1
That is tiny. I would replace the sand. Do not have to get it full cleaned out, just the bulk of it.

Also what should I use to clean the copper deposits /residue off inside of pump and hoses. I used white vinegar on the intex skimmer basket and it took the green copper stains away. Will using white vinegar to clean inside pump and pump filter basket be good enough to ensure most traces of the copper are gone? Or is their another product I should use instead like the sulfamic acid laden water to clean it.

If the vinegar worked use it where you can.
Likely the small amounts you see are not sufficient to make a difference.