High Copper Level

Jan 17, 2008
Amherst, MA
Got my first green hair complaint last w/e from one of the kids with blond hair on a sleepover. So we tested the water afterwards and nothing looked out of line from previous:

BR 4.0
pH 7.3
TA 90
CH 200
Temp 81 deg F

After some research I found the copper level needed to be tested so got the test kit today and the level is 0.7 ppm. Anyone with good experience getting this down? I see a lot of agents out there many with horror stories about clouding up water which I'd like to avoid. Replacing the water isn't a viable option since the copper level in town water is 1.3 based on the last report they sent me. Since that's my source for filling and topping off it's likely explains where the high level in pool came from.

The 1.3 ppm in the water quality report is the "Action Level".

The amount actually detected is less than or equal to 0.100 ppm.

Bromine tends to be more corrosive to copper than chlorine, especially when the pH is low.

Do you have any copper in the equipment?

Have you used copper algaecide?

Typically water exchange is the only way to reduce copper. You might want to check out 'CuLator' though this product is on the expensive side and hasn't been proven to work.

Around this forum, we're mostly all chlorine users. It would be helpful if you identify the exact Bromine product you are using. It's very possible there is copper in your Bromine

Bromine tabs contain dimethyl hydantoin, which is analogous to cyanuric acid in a chlorine pool.

If you have used a lot of bromine tabs, you might be due for a water replacement if you can do it safely without damaging the pool.

Draining and refilling a pool can cause it to pop out of the ground.

Note that metal test kits are not super reliable. Don't put too much confidence in the test.

Since you have the test kit, test the fill water for reference.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. So we tested the tap water and the copper is less than 0.1 so the town report was misread as someone noted (the 1.3 ppm was pointing out the alarm level). In answer to some of the other points:

1. Have never used algaecides.
2. The bromine tabs are an In-the Swim brand at the moment. Usually use what's available on sale.
3. The heat exchangers are 25 year old copper lined and will be replaced next month with some ATI titanium ones (one has slight leak).
4 Pool water was replaced 10 months ago along with liner.

I could replace water again after heat exchanger job but has anyone has a positive experience with the Culator product that goes in the pump or skimmer basket? The reviews on amazon are mixed but no reports of clouded up pools at least as with some of the liquid agents. It's also comparable in cost to the sequestrants and if it works cheaper long term if the copper source goes away.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.