Atlantic City, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
I am a new pool owner trying to find the right balance for my Hayward SWG to produce the right amount of chlorine. I originally shocked the pool about 10 days ago with 6 gallons of liquid chlorine. Backwashed often. Total alkalinity and PH were low and CYA was non existent. I added the stabilizer and Alkalinity booster.

Recent test results with Taylor 2005 test kit

Tested on June 6th.

PH 7.8
Chlorine 10-15 ppm
CYA 80
Total alkalinity 110ish
Hardness: 0
Salt level 3450 ppm (manual test)
Salt level 3100 ppm (SWG control panel)

I have been running the SWG on 65% for about 10 hours a day

I was thinking about adding calcium chloride according to the calculator to increase hardness and potentially adding muryatic acid to lower ph and akalanity.

I question my overall chlorine levels as they appear to be 10-15 ppm according to color chart but I brought water to a pool store and they told me they were closer to 3 ppm and not to do anything accept maybe add some calcium chloride?

What should I do to get my SWG to produce the right amount of chlorine and to get my pool chemistry balanced? Should I decrease the salt cell percentage output on the SWG or lower the time my pump is on? Yesterday I lowered the percentage to 50% and down to 9 hours. I live in a wooded area so I want to at least run the pump 8 hours a day to keep pollen and other debris out.

Any tips would help?

Pool characteristics:

27 Round radiant semi inground pool
Vinyl liner, 16k gallons

Reactions: jeffchap
PoolMath has tools that will allow you set SWG runtimes and percentages to produce X-amount of FC daily. I would set that amount at 3 ppm daily for now and adjust as needed. As mentioned, to make those daily adjustments, you need the accuracy of the FAS/DPD drop test for FC (Taylor k-1515a). Let us know if you want help with the app.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.