Monroe, OH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
So I’ve been struggling with high CC in my salt water pool. My steps have been turning yellowish as well. I read that could be from metal so I thought I’d just to get water tested at Leslie’s. I have the TF-100 test kit which I use regularly. My CC has been creeping up lately but always reads at about 1.0ppm. It crept to 1.5 according to my test kit, and results from Leslie’s are attached. Last night I put in 4, 1lb packs of non chlorine shock. I added two this morning before I got this test done. I also added two capfuls of PhosFree last night.
What do you recommend for the High CC and why do I always seem to have high CC. Even last season it was high heading into closing. What do you suggest for the yellow steps, being the iron and copper were 0?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2D1E8142-30F5-4558-985B-F2B2BC200DBC.jpeg
    2D1E8142-30F5-4558-985B-F2B2BC200DBC.jpeg
    504 KB · Views: 8
First thing we would recommend is to post your TF-100 test results. The pool store tests don't help, with possibly the only exception being the iron/copper. While those may not be 100% accurate either, they do show potential metals problems which explains the yellowing steps. Are you still using that Frog system?

Ok. The frog system is still installed however I'm not using a mineral pak or any tabs in it. Basically just there with water running through it due to plumbing. I'm using the Aquarite SWG now. Here are the test results I just took.

FC - 6.0
CC - 1.0
PH - 7.5
TA - 80
CH - 75
CYA - 65
Salt - 3000
Phosphates - 250~

Those numbers are okay with the exception of the elevated CC. That's probably from the nonchlorine shock. I would stick to liquid chlorine or regular bleach if possible and that umber should come down. For the stairs, try rubbing a Vitamin C tablet on the staining. If it works, you know it's iron. If it doesn't do anything, try some dry acid or a chlorine tablet. If dry acid in a thin sock helps, or a puck makes it worse, it's copper.

Are you on a well?

Those numbers are okay with the exception of the elevated CC. That's probably from the nonchlorine shock. I would stick to liquid chlorine or regular bleach if possible and that umber should come down. For the stairs, try rubbing a Vitamin C tablet on the staining. If it works, you know it's iron. If it doesn't do anything, try some dry acid or a chlorine tablet. If dry acid in a thin sock helps, or a puck makes it worse, it's copper.

Are you on a well?
I am not on a well, using city water. I used the Non Chlorine shock which lowered my CC from 1.5 yesterday to 1.0 today. Are you recommending adding liquid shock or SLAM right now? If I add Liquid shock now it will obviously spike my FC.

Non-chlorine products tend to influence CC levels. I don't see a need to do a SLAM yet. But for the next few days I would use liquid chlorine and/or regular bleach (sometimes called liquid chock) to maintain your FC level. Give that a couple days to see if that helps lower the CC level. If not, or if the water condition should get worse later, the do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to se if a SLAM Process is warranted.

I would still try all those tests above on the steps though. Some local municipalities have a high level of iron in their local water supply.

Non-chlorine products tend to influence CC levels. I don't see a need to do a SLAM yet. But for the next few days I would use liquid chlorine and/or regular bleach (sometimes called liquid chock) to maintain your FC level. Give that a couple days to see if that helps lower the CC level. If not, or if the water condition should get worse later, the do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to se if a SLAM Process is warranted.

I would still try all those tests above on the steps though. Some local municipalities have a high level of iron in their local water supply.
I will definitely try the Vitamin C to see what happens. On the Liquid Shock, are you saying use that exclusively and not the SWG? I'm confused by that part. Also, what FC level do you think I should hold at?

On the Liquid Shock, are you saying use that exclusively and not the SWG? I'm confused by that part.
I'm sorry. Just use the SWG. My head was somewhere else on that whole chlorine thing. :brickwall: I think I got thrown off when you said you used a non-chlorine earlier. But if you ever need to increase the FC to help the cell, stick to the liquid. Your current FC of 6 should be fine. Anywhere in that 5-7 range should be ideal.

So I did an overnight chlorine loss test. Last night I tested and FC was 9 and CC was 1.5. This morning, Chlorine 10 and CC 1.5. I turned down my salt cell about 10% this morning.

So I did an overnight chlorine loss test. Last night I tested and FC was 9 and CC was 1.5. This morning, Chlorine 10 and CC 1.5. I turned down my salt cell about 10% this morning.
To confirm, was the SWG OFF last night during the OCLT?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, so turned SWG off about 9:45pm, tested and FC 8, CC 2.0. This morning at 8am, FC 8, CC 1.5. I'm stumped why I continually have a high CC. What is causing it?????

You used MPS on Wednesday, this is Friday. It does linger for a while.

Also, clean the test vial you use for FC testing with bleach. At times a dirty test vial can show CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.