DFW, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have 5 months under my belt now with a new SWP, and I'm running into climbing calcium. I have had the calcium checked 3 times during this period and they were 273, 310, 490.
I'm on a well and 3 months back I removed my water softener and installed a carbon filter and saltless water softener, which looks to be a mistake. I didn't not test the calcium in my water before doing this and I'm seeing how much is in the water now. So I believe this is why my calcium is climbing so fast as I've added water every 2 weeks or so.
How can I deal with the calcium and get it down?
I'm at the point now I'm going to be going back to a real water softener.

I had a pool supply test them. They listed their Calcium Hardness range between 200-400.
The fact of it climbing that much in a 4 months has me worried that it will only continue as I need to add water to the pool.
Being on a well this will only get worse if I don't have a softener on the well supply, correct? Or is calcium coming from stone water feature and scuppers?
Since I've replaced my salt water softener with a saltless water "softener" , after boiling water a heaving white film is left on pots and lots of white residue floating in the water.

Being on a well, you certainly may experience some unwanted issues like higher calcium, iron, etc. But the calcium can still be managed throughout the year by accurately testing the water yourself with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. That would be our #1 recommendation. Outside testing (pool services, free local testing, etc) often provide flawed test results. We see it all the time. A TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C will assure reliable numbers you can count on. From there, if you find your CH is indeed 500 in the pool, you'll know to compensate by keeping the pH a bit lower to prevent scale in the pool. With one of those test kits, you should also test the water source (well) so that you can compare to other sources to establish a baseline of how hard your water is. A water softener is nice to have if available, but in many cases they aren't designed to regenerate the amount needed to supply large water replacements anyways. Perhaps occasional top-offs. But managing the pH will be key if your CH is indeed elevated. But definitely consider getting one of those test kits and performing your own testing. It's easy to do and you can count on your own results.

Thanks Texas Splash.
So what is the correct CH range?
I was considering a more comprehensive kit because I enjoy doing this and know I'm missing so much in my basic kit. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll go shopping around for them.
Seeing all this calcium in boiled water, spots on dishes, lack of soap lather, etc, I'm going back to a salt water softener. I'll oversize it for my size house a bit so it would be able to top off the pool.
Thanks for the advice.

So what is the correct CH range?
The page below will help show you the proper levels based on your pool type and method of chlorination. Also fee free to use the PoolMath APP which is a popular method of managing levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.