High Alkalinity

Jun 17, 2012
Shelbyville, IN
For last six weeks, my alkalinity keeps going up. Can not get my alkalinity to go down. I check CL, PH and AL on daily basis. CL stays between o,5 to 1.5, PH always 8.0, AL- started out at 80 and stayed almost all summer, and now last 6 weeks stays at 120. I add Muratic acid to lower the ph, it will go down to 7.2 to 7.4, alkalinity will go down 110 but next day it will be 120 with PH going up to 7.4 or 7.6. I shock the pool to 20 to 22 PPM three times, but for one day result will stay good, next day AL will back to 110 or 120. Using K-2006 test kits since last 11 years.
The water is clear, I can see the drain at the bottom on 9 feet deep section but not as clear as it used to be.

Would appreciate very much any suggestions.

36 K Pool, Vinyl cover, 2 HP Hayward pump, S 244 T (300 LBS) sand filter.

Alkalinity only rises if you are adding it. Are you adding fill water that has high TA? What other chemicals are you adding?

Focus on pH. Your vinyl pool really does not care what the TA is, only pH.

Reactions: Mdragger88
CL stays between o,5 to 1.5
The water is clear, I can see the drain at the bottom on 9 feet deep section but not as clear as it used to be.
What is your cya level? You are maintaining a very low fc level FC/CYA Levels
It is more likely that organics are the cause of the clarity issue than TA. As @mknauss mentioned the higher ta is not a problem.
You should probably do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out a nascent algae problem.

It is more likely that organics are the cause of the clarity issue than TA. As @mknauss mentioned the higher ta is not a problem.
You should probably do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out a nascent algae problem.
The normal
My normal CYA level is 30 and some time when the DOT tube is full you can barely see the dot, I call it 25. Run cleaning robot every third day and brush pool once a week. I do get some black bugs and crickets in the skimmer but robot is not picking up anything except sand and some small leaves/ particles.

I do not know what is OCLT/OCLT test is? Can you please explain or point me

My normal CL loss is about 0.5 to 1.00 PPM. My CYA is about 30 and lower. When teh DOT tube is full and I can barely see the dot I call it 25 , since the scale will go as low as 30?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.