High Alkalinity Well Water

Ncummins

Jun 27, 2022
Michigan
Moved from here.
Ok thanks for the tips. I have cya going now and am adding chlorine. I wondered if the green was iron. I used chlorine bleach to clean the surface and then rinsed the pool before refilling. I wonder if the bleach from cleaning turned the iron in the water green as it was filling.

As a general question, will I struggle to maintain water clarity with such high alkalinity water? I am wondering if others have been able to get clear water with over 300ppm alkalinity.

Thanks!

So after battling the same issue with alkalinity amd well water and a quick Google search I found your post and I'm wondering if since this is such an old post if you did/didn't continue to struggle with your alkalinity on your well over time? I'm thinking it should balance out but wondering if I should plan to keep a steady supply of dry acid lol

Last edited by a moderator:
TA levels are often quite high in your region, some go well over 400. That alone is easily managed and in most cases not the most important priority in the pool's chemistry. There are two things you should be watching and preparing for now:
1 - Iron from the well. If you must fill from the well, be prepared on for the challenges that come with it. We can help.
2 - Proper water testing. That cannot be over-emphasized. We recommend owners test with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. This is extremely important for pools with iron as the FC, CYA, and pH must be watched closely to prevent staining and water color changes.

See our Pool Care Basics page and the links below for more info. Welcome to TFP! :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.