Hiding the pump/filter

rockb

Sep 26, 2015
FL
Finally putting the pool in service at the house we bought a little over a year ago. For whatever reason (most likely it was to save $100- $200 in PVC) the previous owners put the pump out in the open.

I think that the wife would rather have that hidden from view. Trying to decide if I should build something to hide it or move it, if that is even possible. If I move it it would be approximately 100' and maybe 12"-18" higher than where it currently is.

I'd love to see some photos of how you hide your pump or get opinions on if it is possible to have the pump that much higher than the water level.

Pool Pump.jpg

My pad location is going to be about 30' from the closest pool edge.....and about 10' higher. Builder (and several on here) said that will not be a problem. This is to hide my pool equipment as well (and put it next to the house).

That's a very odd location currently. Instead of PVC pipe, they had to run electric out there which cost a few pennies as well.

Personally I would opt to hide it. Some bushes around it, or a tiki hut / shed
or anything to save you the hassle of moving it.

It would cost less to build an attractive shed on top of it, and that would give
you outdoor storage for pool toys.

Moving the pad further away will also decrease pump performance having to
push through more pvc. Not by much, but something to consider.

You can move it, but I'd build a shed for it where it is. That move will require a pretty extensive trench. You'll have to run the pipe from where the equipment is going to be to the points where the current plumbing connects to the pool. You won't be able to get to the plumbing elsewhere. Builders usually put all the pipes in a single trench to the equipment.

A shed will protect your equipment from the sun and rain which will make it last longer, will reduce noise in the yard, and will give you a place to keep all the odds and ends of pool care out of site.

My guess is you will be routing the new plumbing where the orange line is on the edited picture below:
PoolPump-relocate.jpg

One thing to remember if you do relocate the plumbing is that the main drain line is always full of water under a little bit of pressure since it is below the level of the water in the pool. You may want to drain the pool a couple of feet to make that a little easier. I relocated mine, and holding back that water while I reconnected was the biggest challenge.

Interesting location! I wonder if they were planning a cabana or some other structure there someday. Maybe a quad and dirt bike garage :)

The pic looks rural, so just wondering if you're on your own septic? If so, possibly they had to avoid the septic field and ended up thinking about a new structure out the back. If you are on septic, that's a consideration in terms of re-routing the pipe.

That looks like an amazing place with a ton of possibilities. I'm green with envy as a country boy living in a suburb :)

Betcha that pool is TFP blue after the next google earth update :)

^ I like that idea if only hiding it.
I like the shed idea if you're willing to build something nice and have storage for chemicals and rafts. Can get away with a $600 kit from big box.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.