Riverside, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Well, new pool owner here. Have a pool guy. Have my own Taylor K-2006 test kit, trying to get comfortable testing while the pool guy is still around. Have a pool supply store that is eager to sell me everything haha. My pool is less than a year old. I have noticed several small "stains" 1/4" or less on the floor of my Pebble-Fina that just will not leave. On a quest to find out why they are there. Barely any landscaping around the pool. I've done desperate mechanical things to eliminate these stains to no avail. Things like stainless steel brushes and pumice stones. Pool guy says he thinks it's organic matter falling to the floor refusing to leave. Pool store says it's black mold (in a pool that has never been used by me.... yet) because my phosphates are high, and that it comes from the dirt beneath my pool, leaching into that porous concrete. Oh lordy..... a little frustrated that I am paying for a pool service that "may be" letting my pool go to Hades. Who to believe? So besides pest control, I'm now in pool management. Yay for me.

But seriously, I was only supposed to introduce myself and it went downhill from there. I'm looking to learn a lot here... so that eventually... I may take this on myself. Then I won't have to second guess anyone or anything... maybe. :)

Hey there Drummerman :wave: Welcome aboard! Good job getting a decent test kit.

Even when folks have pool management folks come in they should still monitor the quality of their water. Many times we've read concerns about how the pools are being managed and we can help determine if damage is being done to the pool itself or water isn't up to snuff....all sorts of problems that aren't always apparent just by looking at the pool.

So I'd suggest going over to the "Just getting Started" forum and describe your problem. I guarantee you'll have a few responses in no time!

Have you read a bit in Pool School? The articles are very helpful.

Maddie :flower:

:wave:
Hello and welcome! I stumbled onto this forum after taking bad advice from the "experts". Once I dumped them completely and took control of my pool by educating myself (via this forum and Pool School) and regular testing, I haven't looked back. I never thought in a million years I'd be successfully managing a pool (almost) by myself and just how easy it is with the right tools and resources.

Hey drummer! :wave: Stick around long enough and some of what we say will "stick" to you. Ha. Get it? Stick? Drummer .... stick? Okay, it was lame and a long shot, but it's late and I'm tired. :hammer: Welcome to the TFP club. Give us a chance and we'll show you how to take care of that pool like a pro - maybe better than a pro. :swim:

Hey there Drummerman :wave: Welcome aboard! Good job getting a decent test kit.

Even when folks have pool management folks come in they should still monitor the quality of their water. Many times we've read concerns about how the pools are being managed and we can help determine if damage is being done to the pool itself or water isn't up to snuff....all sorts of problems that aren't always apparent just by looking at the pool.

So I'd suggest going over to the "Just getting Started" forum and describe your problem. I guarantee you'll have a few responses in no time!

Have you read a bit in Pool School? The articles are very helpful.

Maddie :flower:
I agree with you re owner investment in water quality. Hoping that soon I will uncover the mysteries of pool chemistry. Yes, I've been poking about in Pool School. There is a lot of great info there! Thanks for the welcome and I'll put a post up in the getting started forum pretty soon :)

Hey drummer! :wave: Stick around long enough and some of what we say will "stick" to you. Ha. Get it? Stick? Drummer .... stick? Okay, it was lame and a long shot, but it's late and I'm tired. :hammer: Welcome to the TFP club. Give us a chance and we'll show you how to take care of that pool like a pro - maybe better than a pro. :swim:
Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to becoming proficient in caring for my pool.
Here's a joke for you that you may already know.....
Q: What's the difference between a drummer and a pizza?
A: A pizza can feed your family

I've heard them all haha...

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!

Why not take this pool care on yourself right now? No better time to start and what you save in not paying that pool guy, you can put into some bling for the new pool. Read up and ask any questions you have.
Thanks for the encouragement. My only concern is summer's right around the corner and I'm a little reluctant to take it on during "prime time" but.... I am seriously considering it!

:wave:
Hello and welcome! I stumbled onto this forum after taking bad advice from the "experts". Once I dumped them completely and took control of my pool by educating myself (via this forum and Pool School) and regular testing, I haven't looked back. I never thought in a million years I'd be successfully managing a pool (almost) by myself and just how easy it is with the right tools and resources.
Thanks for the welcome. Encouraging to hear that self management is possible without driving yourself crazy!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the encouragement. My only concern is summer's right around the corner and I'm a little reluctant to take it on during "prime time" but.... I am seriously considering it!

Drummer, I started with TFPC mid-summer 2017 and it greatly simplified the pool care and improved enjoyment of the pool.

Reactions: drummerman951