Hey everyone Im a newbie pool owner who is way over her head :/

Okay, so back on 30 May you said your pool was a swamp. I'm assuming it's still green with algae right? So now about your tests ....
- The FC is low so we know that needs to be raised. First thing to do is raise the FC to 10 with regular bleach. Test it again in 10 minutes. It should still be between 5-10 in 10 minutes. If it's not let me know. So if you DO pass that quick test, do the following ...
- Add stabilizer via the sock method to increase CYA to 30 for now. Use the Poolmath calculator.
- Lower/adjust pH to 7.2 (orange); lower with muriatic acid
- Increase FC to "12" and keep it there 24/7. It's important to check frequently in the early part of the "SLAM" (link below) to maintain that FC. The better your maintain 12, the better the SLAM goes.

If you have any problems along the way, let us know. Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Later, after the SLAM, we'll discuss the TA (Barbie pink) and CH colors more. :)

Even better. So you have fairly new water. Then this should be much easier. Start by adding stabilizer (CYA) for a CYA target of 40. To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

With a CYA target of 40 (soaking), you are now ready to add bleach. On this first day, only add enough regular bleach (HEB-Bravo or Wal-Mart Great Value) to increase FC to about 3 ppm. After that, maintain your around 4-6 and NEVER below 3. Pour the bleach slowly near a return jet(s).

Next you test/adjust pH (red drops). If the pH is high and over 7.8 (dark purple), you need to lower with muriatic acid back to around 7.5-7.6.

You can start the stabilizer soaking right away with no impact on other items. Separate the bleach and acid by about 15-20 minutes with pump running. After all of that has mixed really good for about 30 min to an hour, run one more full set of test results and post them back here so we can make sure those are doing good, and we'll also look at your CH and TA as well. Exception - don't bother testing the CYA for another 2-3 days. Let me know if you have any questions.

It depends on what you are using to size gallon wise for your pool. How many gals do you think it is?

Down at the bottom of Pool Math I put in your numbers but called your pool an oval with an average depth of 6 ft. That got me 19000 gals. BUT you should know about how many gals you have due to your tests. Please add your gals in your siggy.

The above numbers sound about right BUT without knowing the gals it is hard for me to double check for you.

Kim:cat:

Kim I read that kidney shaped pools u treat them like they are rectangular and so it said i had 20200 gallons but that was just from some guys post
Idk if it's even true if it's more correct I could do the oval measurement? But I do have that 8 ft spa so would it be best to just go with the rectangular measurement and do 20200 gallons?? I'm so lost?

We can figure it out. It is really easy but will take some testing and using Pool Math. See if you follow what I am saying.

Use your 20200 gals for the first "test":

-test your FC and make a note of it

-use pool math to see how much bleach it would take to push the FC up to 3 over what you have now using what you THINK your gals are.

-put in that amount of bleach in your pool and let it mix for about 15 mins with the pump AND you brushing. It needs to mix good.

-retest the FC and see where it ended up. Higher than Pool Math said it would be? your pool is smaller than 20200. Lower than Pool Math said it would be? your pool is bigger than 20200.

Now that you have done that you can tweak it each time you add bleach until you dial in your size.

To add picture you can use photo bucket or such. Here is a write up on how to do it:

How to add pictures to a post (full guide with screenshots))

Take some picture of the equipment so we can figure out how to get your pump going and keep your water clear.

I would use Pool Math to find out how much bleach to put in the water to get the FC up to your upper target for you size pool. Turn the pump on to mix it up or brush the pool real good to mix it in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK so I spent some time you tubing and trying to figure out my system. The pressure gauge is saying only like 3 to 5 lbs. The skimmer doesn't feel like a huge suction but it could be normal? I just dont know a difference. The returns all seem like they are functioning OK except the spa returns. After my husband washed the filters the spa returns looked good then like 30 min later u could barely, barely see them going? Pool math said for 20200 gallons i needed 56oz of stabilizer. I added it to a sock and put it in front of a return because I didn't think the skimmer was strong enough? Pool math said to pour 78oz of 10%chlorine to my pool . My FC was basically 0, after 20 min it was a 1 on the little yellow and red thing but I got a 2 on the full kit??? Not looking great guys??

Keep adding more chlorine to keep raising the level back up. Algae clogs up filters fast. Keep cleaning the filter after the pressure rises 25% above clean pressure.

I don't use the drop test for FC at all. I prefer the powder test as it is more accurate. Now go put more chlorine in your pool and keep the FC level at your SLAM level.

Does your gauge fall back down to 0 when you turn your pump off?

Kim I read over in pool school about SLAMMING but I don't know my cya level I do have stabilizer in a sock in front of a return. I lost what little chlorine I had. How do I know what my slam level is?

- - - Updated - - -

Also Guage does fall but it's barely at a 3

A couple days ago we discussed increasing your CYA for a target of 40. So when you are SLAMming, we go to the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below) and see that the SLAM FC should be "16" for a pool that has a current CYA of 40. Whenever in doubt, go to that chart, find your current CYA then find the corresponding FC level. :)

OK I'm doing everything wrong. Someone told me to get CYA to 20 so I added 56oz of stabilizer to a sock. Now to get it to 40 it says I need 108oz so I can add more then add the bleach next week? I read it can take up to a week for stabilizer to go up. So right now I just need to get 108 Oz of stabilizer get dissolved check my CYA and then from there SLAM when the CYA is 40?

No problem. I double-checked the calculator for you. If you're at a CYA of 20 now, then just add another 27 ounces of stabilizer which will take your CYA to 30. 30 is the ideal number for a SLAM to save on bleach. So if you do that, you can maintain your FC at "12". It doesn't take a full week for CYA to register. We used to think so, but not anymore. Once it dissolves, most of it will be registered within the next 24-48 hours. Does that make sense to you?

FYI - In the future, when you need to increase a level, make sure to updated your NOW number and TARGET number. For example, in our discussion above .... you are correct that it would take 108 ounces of stabilizer to go from zero to 40, but remember your CYA was already at 20 from before. So then you change the NOW number to 20 (current level) and update the new TARGET. I had suggested 40 before because this was fresh water at the time and it's getting hot. But since you look to be doing a SLAM now, we'll go with a CYA of 30 to use less bleach. If you have any questions, please let us know. It may be confusing at first, but you'll get it.

Hi Pat I'm OK :/ I feel bad for bothering everyone so much I have a million questions and I'm. Not sure who to ask how to post etc. I'm not confident my pressure and pump system are ok. I have spent today getting the stabilizer to dissolve in the water so I can check in the a.m. for it to be at least 30 once it is I will SLAM...if the filtering system is not working will that ruin all of this that I'm doing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support