Here goes my TFPC first attempt.

I'm sure they will mention: Phosphates, Total Disolved Solids, and Calcium Hardness (which is meaningless for a vinyl pool). My pool store's computer says a CYA of 240 is acceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheap bleach can contain small amounts of sodium hydroxide (lye) which can mess with your pH. It WILL NOT cause your skin to fall off ny using it in your pool though.

The purpose of the sodium hydroxide is to buffer the bleach to help to slow the natural decomposition of the sodium hypo. So its always in there. I guess some have more than others.

I talked with my rep who sells us the 12.5% product. He said I could use it in the pool no problem. Just, as your program suggests, monitor the PH and chlorine levels. I'd just use less than the lesser concentration products.

Ok, I went in for a test.
FAC--4
TAC--4
PH--7.2
Alk--50
CYA-60
TDS--1400
phos--500

He wanted me to buy 20lb of baking soda, 2 iters of phos free and some copper algaecide. LOL!

I'm going to replace a little bit more water. I still think their CYA test is testing high. I'm showing around 40 on the test strips. Everything ales on the test strip match, why wouldn't the CYA?

Most pools with diving boards have an average depth of around 5.5 feet. If you had a CYA of 100 and drain off a foot, your resultant CYA will be a little over 80.....still too high.

Get your CYA down to about 40-50 ppm by draining an additional 2 feet of water and you should be about right..

Cya Came back in at 60. Test strip shows 40.

I'm replacing. Little bit more water and calling it good untill my test kit comes in.

Just dumped about 6" and refilled. Test strip shows under 40...
I'm going to let this ride until my test kit shows up.
Now you're getting it! Test results! That's what should drive your decisions -- facts!
attachment.php

Well, we got quite a bit of rain last night. Algae kicked it up a notch...

You know, for your size pool, it could be brought to shock level by adding 1000 oz. of 6% bleach or 750 oz. of 8.25% bleach. That is assuming a 50 CYA which is the average of the two numbers you posted. This could help keep tha algae at bay. Just be sure to do it at night.

????????

- - - Updated - - -

I came home from work this evening and the pool had cleared up some more. Its just a little bit cloudy but very very little green.
I brought home some 6% and the pool math calc told me to add in a little under 3 gallons. I brushed and put in 3 gallons. I'll add a little tonight before bedtime.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I brushed and put another 256oz of 12.5 before bed last night. It looks much better this morning. But my stabilizer went up 10 PPM, so now I'm sitting at right around 60.

Should I maintain with 8.25 or 6 bleach? Or just use a little 12.5 to keep the FC up?

the percentage doesn't matter as long as you enter information into Pool Math correctly. 8.25% is the same bleach as 6% is the same bleach as 12.5%. It's just a different concentration.

the percentage doesn't matter as long as you enter information into Pool Math correctly. 8.25% is the same bleach as 6% is the same bleach as 12.5%. It's just a different concentration.
Thanks, thats what I went ahead and did. I just picked up 18gl of 6% and plugged it into poolmath.

We got a long sustained rain with high winds last night, so I was afraid of what I was going to run into this morning. To my surprise, the algae was all gone. The water was still a tiny bit cloudy. I brushed it and was happy to see that there is only a slight layer of slit on the bottom. It brushed up in a slight brownish mist instead of the green mist. I tested, poolmathed and added 2 more gallons bleach and will vac this evening.

I think I'm getting very close. I'm pretty much using my past experience with my test strips to do this...knowing how they read compared to pool store test results. I haven't even received my K-2006 yet. I know you guys hate that and it makes it near impossible to give advice but I really dont have any other choice. I wasnt going to blow another $150+ at the pool store and I couldnt just let it go. its working so far. I've only used 5gl of 12.5 and 8gl of 6. It'll be interesting to see where I'm at when the test kit gets here this week.

Well today the pool looks the best it has all year. Almost crystal clear.
According to pool store test/test strips I'm looking at:

FC- 10+ (I'm not seeing much drop in FC now compared to the first couple of days of this)
PH- 7.6
ALK- 80
CYA- 40

Don't know my exact FC or CC yet but k-2006 test kit should be here soon.

All I know for sure is that the FC is 10+ but I'm going to guess my FC is around 12 so I think I'm going to take FC back up to 16, according to poolmath that would be 207oz of 6%....then I'm gonna let the FC settle down to a 5 and start swimming.

WELL Ladies and gents. I got my k2006 today. I just took all the measurements and I was astounded. Keep in mind, I completely winged this SLAM with nothing but this website and some basic dip strips. Using 5gallons of 12.5% to get to shock level and 9 gallons of 6% to maintain. I bumped PH with about 4lbs of Boraxo. I have been letting the FC settle for the past 3 days and we've swam in the pool all weekend.
Heres where I'm at.

FC--7.5
CC--0
PH--7.4
TA--80
CYA--40

Everything safely within the recommended ranges. (except the FC is a little high because I couldn't test it accurately) I cant believe I didn't go this route sooner. I went to the pool store on Saturday and returned a little bit of **** I bought over the past few months but had not used yet.

I felt sorry for a young mother getting "pool stored"....you know the look..deer in the headlights. "Well ma'am, your gonna need 4 lbs of shock, a bottle of clarifier, some algaecide and 2 liters of Phos free. He lost her when he told her what sequence to put it all in. she had to call her husband and get him on the phone..
I felt like catching up to her outside the store to tell her about this site but she was gone by the time they got my stuff returned.

So, due to the suggestion above Ive raised FC back to shock level of 16 and I'm gonna do the OCLT. If I pass, I'm done. I'll just let her drift to normal levels.
Wow, just wow. I had no idea.

THANK YOU!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Ive got a little of everything I need to do minor adjustments. Boraxo, Baking Soda, ,Muratic acid and of course bleach. All this at a fraction of the cost of pool store chems......

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.