Helping with my apt pool

Apr 3, 2016
Baltimore MD
Due to a lifeguard shortage my friend who lives in my apt complex is now the lifeguard at our apt pool. The company that runs the pool doesn't have much good instruction on running this pool. Before I sold my home/pool (long bad story), this forum taught me everything about how to balance my old in ground pool to perfection. I added bleach every day and it was perfect.

So now I'm helping my friend balance this 50,000 or so gallon public pool. with a sand filter There is an inline chlorination system and buckets of tri-chlor in the mechanical room.

I have lived here for about 10 months and the pool is uncovered even during the winter. It has always been perfectly clear. Gorgeous pool. That said, when we did the first chlorine test it showed <1. Two huge scoops of DPD barely turned it light pink. I noticed the chlorinator was off. The instructions to the lifeguard are "do not run chlorinator overnight." So we ran the chlorinator, full of tr-chlor pucks at level 5 (max) for about 4 hours. We got the chlorine to about 2ppm. It seemed to rise about 0.5 ppm an hour. To sorta follow their rules we dropped the chlorinator to <1 over night to let it run a little bit but not full blast. The pump runs 24 hours a day with fountains. Today at 3pm the pool was open and we tested again. The chlorine was at 1. Luckily CYA is <30 so I assume this is still sanitizing.

This leads me to my questions:
- this is a decently high load pool. Lots of people and full sun. I assume this chlorinator needs to be running around the clock, right? Or is this a game of turn it on/turn it off/measure - repeat and adjust.
- I always thought adding solely tri-chlor was a recipe for disaster because of the eventual overload of CYA that will come with the addition of the pucks. That said, I don't know if life guards are supposed to be adding a gallon of bleach to a pool every day so I don't know what other choice there is. How does this work for a public pool? Will the CYA eventually get so high that we have to drain it and refill with fresh water?

From memory the test results were: chlorine: 1. CC:0. pH: 7.4. Calcium: 110. TA: 70. CYA <30 (I saw the dot with the tube full). It's a Taylor K2006 test kit.

Thanks!

Thank you! I figured something is different. Our plan is to be ready with 4 gallons of bleach in case these guys don't refill the tri-chlor on time and to just do our best using the knowledge I have from this forum. That could perhaps save a weekend. Yesterday we left the chlorinator on overnight so hopefully today it will be higher. Their suggested range for chlorine, per the instructions we have is 2-10! So we can play by their rules and just keep it in the 5-6 range allowing load/sun to pull it down to 2 and then chlorinate again overnight. That's my plan at least. I appreciate anyones thoughts here.

I was thinking their suggested daily backwash might lower pool volume enough and with rain to perhaps keep CYA a bit lower.

I guess I already know what to do here. There’s no way to increase chlorine without running this thing all night so keep it on and test and adjust as needed. If the CYA gets high we can start larger volume backwashing and daily filling. I got this.

I guess I already know what to do here. There’s no way to increase chlorine without running this thing all night so keep it on and test and adjust as needed. If the CYA gets high we can start larger volume backwashing and daily filling. I got this.
Be careful, there may be legal rules about documentation and other stuff you have to comply with.

Be careful, there may be legal rules about documentation and other stuff you have to comply with.
True, but this stuff isn't b being documented anyway. Terrible company running this and at least having me is like having a lifeguard who has at least been a little trained. So far so good. Chlorine is holding in the 4-5 range, CYA is <30 but not zero and we are getting TA and CH into ranges. Crystal clear after a big weekend of swimming and we figured out how to use the vacuum.

This is totally a lifeguard left on her own and luckily she has me to help her out. Again, not ideal but better than letting the company run this into the ground with no instruction or effort at all and at least I know we have a safe pool that is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.