Helping my neighbor

pikeman

Jul 6, 2008
Pflugerville, Texas
My neighbor is a single woman who bought the house despite it having a pool and has a real mess. The CYA level was well over 100 last time I checked it and I explained to her how the trichlor pucks were complicating the problem and in the meantime black algae has grown in all the cracked plaster and spread around the pool. Her pool service is useless.
I've proposed to her that the pool be drained and I've volunteered to pressure wash and scrub the plaster. It's a small pool, so shouldn't be too bad. I intend to use bleach and a brush to work on the algae, pressure wash it again and pump it as dry as possible before refilling it.
I've never dealt with black algae in my own pool and wonder if this will be adequate. I intend to spike the FC as it is filled to get it as clean as possible.
What am I missing?
Thanks!

I have a nozzle that is adjustable for the smooth part and a brush for the cracks. At the lowest setting I've hit my bare feet and it wasn't pleasant, but I didn't break the skin. I want to make sure I don't create more problems than I fix!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.