help!

To clean up an algae outbreak you MUST know two numbers....
1. CYA
2. Chlorine number way above the 5FC your tests are able to measure

These tests are included in the TF-100, TF-50, and the K-2006. You could take the 5 way kit you have, and add on a FAS/DPD test from here,
http://tftestkits.net/FAS-DPD-Chlorine- ... t-p47.html

The only way you will clean that up is via the SLAM PROCESS.

Run your pump 24/7
Add 1/2 gallon bleach per day, if the 5-way test shows less than a solid yellow color.

The green algae will consume your chlorine, so re-test and add every time your FC color is pale yellow. Early in the process is could be every hour or two.

Right now 5 way is testing bright yellow tested numerous times today still bright yellow. I have been using a floater system with 3in chlorine tablets. We shocked the pool twice in 48 hours, most recently last night. Used a bioguard Angry Egg 72 hours ago. the walls are not slimy and water is clear when collected. Rubbed sock with vitamin C tablets on vinyl wall, no stains.

The tabs are adding CYA. that's why we need to know what the CYA level is so we know what your shock levels will be.

When your done with this process you ought to switch over to our methods of pool maintance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

First, welcome to TFP!

Do you have the bags of shock you used to shock your pool most recently? Can you tell us what the active ingredient says? If it is calcium-hypochlorite then it shouldn't cause you too much trouble. If it anything but that, could you tell us what it is and about how much you have added? It would greatly help us get an idea of what you are working with until you can get test results with your own kit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, cal-hypo isn't one of the ones that would cause a significant problem going forward. Best bet, as has been said, is to ignore the pool store advice. A pool that green is not going to clear up with a half bag of cal-hypo every night. Techguy has the best answer above to do while you wait for your kit, unless you can find out your CYA level.

I'm sure they can, but pool store tests, especially CYA tests are notoriously inaccurate. It would give us a number to go on, generally we can assume that it is higher than the number they give so if it says your CYA is 100+ then we know we have a problem. Just make sure you can walk out without buying anything. Don't let them guilt you in to spending a dime.

While you are in town you may want to stock up on a few gallons of plain unscented bleach. When I say a few I mean 5 - 10 bottles.

I would say no. That is one test they usually mess up. That test needs to be accurate. CYA levels are critical in your FC levels. That's why you need accurate testing. The pool store is not going to steer you on the right path like we will. They want to sell you chem's. That's what they are in business for. People spend a ton of money on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

We have used an average of 2 pucks a week. Upon start up we shocked until it was at 4ppm I believe it was 1 bag (16oz). The pool is regularly used, numerous times a day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.