Help with wiring new 2 speed pump, it's not working

zimm

May 6, 2013
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I just replaced a leaking 2 speed 230v pump with a new one and it's not working. I checked the wiring diagrams, and the newer motor has the terminals in a different order, so I had to swap the common and high speed wires around. With a test light I get 120v on all three terminals (low, common, hi) when I probe them to the ground wire.

The old wiring was:

1- white- common
2- Black- high
3- Red- low

I incorrectly wired the new motor as the same, but they flipped the common to the center terminal, so now it's:

1- black- high
2- white- common
3- Red - low

The spa relays click, but the motor isn't coming on.
Did having the high and common backwards for a few minutes kill the motor?
Maybe the motor is defective?
Maybe the high and low are backwards (I can try swapping them)

Help!

Hmmm... I checked in the control panel and the big 30 amp fuse seems to be blown. I'm not getting any continuity test across it. I'll hit up lowes and get a new one to see if that's it. Maybe having the common and high speed wires backwards fried it.

You really need a Volt/OHM meter to do any testing. A test light won't really tell you what you need to know. you should not have continuity between the two terminals on a double pole breaker. You should however, have 240 volts (nominal) between the two terminals on it. You should have 240 volts in the controller as well. Are you sure the old pump was wired for 240? You should have 240 between two wires (white to either color) in the motor as well. It will be hard to know for sure unless we can see what the outputs from the control panel look like too.

Dan

It was the 30 amp fuse! I got a pack from lowes, popped it in the control box and I'm back in business. I bet having the motor wired wrong blew it right away. Note to everyone, even if you replace a pump with the same model, double check the wiring diagrams on the side of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.