Help with winter cover

Apr 3, 2010
So it's getting close to the time of year where I will be closing down my pool. My current cover has a few holes and is about ready to be replaced, and I was hoping some of you seasoned pool owners can help me decide what the best cover is for my pool.

I have a 30' Round AGP with a deck around 1/2 of the pool. I also have a bunch of trees which are the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE! Unfortunately the wife refuses to let me take them down.

Currently I have a solid (tarp style) winter cover. I usually put 2 or 3 4x4 pillows under the cover because 1 is almost always guaranteed to deflate throughout the winter. I put a leaf net over the winter cover also. I hang bleach bottles full of water on the cover on the non-decked side of the pool, and I use water bags on the decked side of the pool. Fall leaves are not a problem for me. Once they are done dropping I empty the leaf net before the cold weather comes in, but spring is where I have my problems! Most of my trees are maples, and they drop the little helicopters and tiny little seed pods which are not caught by the leaf net. By the time the temps are warm enough to open the pool I have a nice thick SMELLY glop on my winter cover which is near impossible to completely remove. I usually wind up dumping it into the beautifully clear water under the tarp. I then spend the next 2 weeks shocking the pool before we can start using it.

I was thinking about trying to get one of those micro mesh style winter covers, and in the spring time (after snow and ice is gone, but before evil trees begin dropping their seeds of doom) pulling the mesh cover slightly taught so I can use a pool brush or leaf blower to easily clean the evil seed pods off so they are not sitting in water and turning into a science experiment gone bad. Does anyone have a better idea or have any reasons why I shouldn't try my idea? What are some of the pros and con's to the mesh style covers? I have heard that some dirt will filter through, but I'm assuming a quick vacuum job will take care of that.

Pump off the water and use a scoop net to remove the debris before removing the jugs and cable. Don't use a cheap cover. The thicker ones take more of a pounding and are more resistant to punctures.

I find leaf nets to be more of a PITA than they are worth.

Scott

You could:

Send the wife out to clean the cover. If she refuses
Tell her to choose the pool or the tree. Don't let her say I want both. After she cleans the cover a couple times, she'll come around.

As for the draining, a plastic pasta collender works wonders. Set the pump in it. When debris clogs it, lift it and reset it down.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.