Help with what to add

One urgent ask.
I’m done with all the protocols. Technically was done yesterday. My FC was 24. Today it is down to 12 but we are having a big party tomorrow and there will be small children and I want to get the level down to “normal” levels before the party. I’ve read I can add Sodium thiosulfate. Is there a down side to adding this and how much should I add?
@proavia @PoolStored @Mdragger88

Last edited:
You don’t need to add that it is unnecessary - the pool is safe to swim in with ph in the 7’s & fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as you can see the bottom for swimmer safety.
FC/CYA Levels
The down side is that it is easy to over do it & have inadequate amounts of fc in the water.
There’s no downside to having a little extra fc. Your swimmers will take care of it in short order.

Reactions: proavia
You don’t need to add that it is unnecessary - the pool is safe to swim in with ph in the 7’s & fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as you can see the bottom for swimmer safety.
FC/CYA Levels
The down side is that it is easy to over do it & have inadequate amounts of fc in the water.
There’s no downside to having a little extra fc. Your swimmers will take care of it in short order.
High chlorine levels are very bothersome for youngsters skin and eyes. any advice on how to get it lower even if I don’t “have to”?

You might be a candidate for reading the pined posts in the deep end. You’ll find the actual active chlorine is much less in your pool than most.

High chlorine levels are very bothersome for youngsters skin and eyes. any advice on how to get it lower even if I don’t “have to”?
Elevated cc’s & improper ph are generally the most common offenders to skin & eyes. Not adequate amounts of fc in relation to cya.

We generally encourage people to raise fc to 1/2 way between high target 🎯 & slam level before a party & check fc At intervals to ensure things are still good - especially one that involves children. They pee in the pool, they don’t wipe good, & don’t get me started on swim diapers 🤢. + all the sunscreen etc. It all can tank fc fast. Person to person transmission of pathogens is a real concern if fc dips too low.

I only mentioned reading the deep end b/c when you see how much thought and work was put in, it helps in trusting the process.

Pasted below is from the deep end where ChemGeek (this is ChemGeek: https://www.poolspanews.com/compani...ice-of-the-cmahc-cyanurate-ad-hoc-committee_o ) spent like 11 years working on the best ways to maintain a pool. The relationship is the same as CYA goes up, FC needs to go up.

“For example, when the pH is 7.5 and the FC is 3.5 ppm and the CYA is 30 ppm, then 97% of the chlorine is attached to CYA. Nevertheless, the chlorine attached to CYA gets measured in the FC test because the chlorine gets released from the CYA quickly enough to replenish the chlorine that is consumed by the test (by reacting with dye). [EDIT] Free Chlorine (FC) does not measure active chlorine, but rather the chlorine reserve or reservoir that is mostly inactive.”

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.