Help with Waterline Tile and Pebble Tec! Newbie!

Welcome to TFP!! Your design is so pretty and very classy looking! You definitely need some sparkle and bling! I love the color of the tile you chose. My two cents- be careful of competing colors. Decide what you want to be the "star" and pick everything else as complimentary. I went with an irridescent glass tile on my spa and my plaster color is very closely tied to it. Everything else is shades of neutral, making my glass tile and complementing plaster/water color the stars.

Great advice!! Thanks Ninni!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a little bit late to the pool party but the setting and shape of your pool looks beautiful! I'm using arctic ice myself so I'm partial to glass tile. Have you thought of a dark blue glass tile same arctic line but just different color? Like ocean with a dark grout line - it would be subtle but sparkly.

Thanks! I'll take a look at blue too! I like subtle but sparkly! :)

I had the same debate about something that would blend in versus something sparkly. Our property borders a museum from the 1700's so we wanted to keep things traditional (in keeping with the surroundings - obviously no pool designs we could use from that era - lol), but also wanted it to have some wow. We went with Ocean Blue PebbleSheen and Nero Glass tiles. The iridescence is what gives it the sparkle (plain glass tile won't), but it only sparkles in direct sun / light. Definitely subtle and blends with the water color most of the time, but then every once in a while there is a pop of wow :)

20160911_171143665_iOS.jpg

20160922_205706344_iOS.jpg

20160911_171139563_iOS.jpg

I agree with Nini. That is what we are doing. We opted not to swing for all glass at the waterline, even though I really wanted it, bc it was going to add $4500 to the cost which is pool furniture. So we did a complementary ceramic with a glass tile every 6th tile. Then we did an accent wall in all glass. The glass is def the star which is a rich deep blue and gold iridescent and our plaster color will be similar but not as dark but wont compete. The stone on spa and columns and our travertine deck are cool, light tones that compliment the cool blues but let the blues pop. My thread was started by my hubby, it is titled New Build in NE FL.

Okay ... so the glass tile upgrade will be $1,000. My question to y'all is how many change orders did you end up doing when you built your pool and do you wish you would have done a upgrade that you ending up skipping?

I want to do the glass tiles for $1,000, but my concern is how many more things will come up ?? Does that make sense?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tile is one of the options I think you need to love because it will literally be in your face every time you swim! I initially had "standard" slate tile installed in part to avoid the upgrade charge. That turned out to be a big mistake as we ended up not liking it at all and then had to pay to remove it and to replace with upgraded glass tile. As for other upgrades, we only opted for ones that needed to be done at the time the pool was built. We decided to hold off on automation and salt water, for example, because we can add those later.

Also, you had asked about our pool finish. It is pebbletec Tahoe Blue with luminous glass beads in jade mix. The glass beads don't really alter the color much but they add a little sparkle and are very pretty. The pictures I posted do not show the color well. It changes considerably throughout the day from aqua to blue to teal, and in the evening looks like a mirror as it reflects the moonlight. I like dark finishes but also like color so this seemed like a good compromise.

Regarding the ice tile, we installed it over pale grey thinset and used pale grey grout. As a result, the tile has a deeper, silvery, almost stained glass look to it. The effect is very subtle and the tiles pick up (reflect) the color of the water and the coping. They almost look like small mirrors because of the iridescence.

if you want a more pastel, purely colorful look, then use white thinset and grout. Personally, I think that looks best for pools with light colored coping and in more tropical settings like Florida. It would not have worked in our setting, which is a rural farm with lots of dark green pasture.

I recommend getting a tile sample and comparing how it looks on a white background versus a grey background. It makes a big difference.

Okay ... so the glass tile upgrade will be $1,000. My question to y'all is how many change orders did you end up doing when you built your pool and do you wish you would have done a upgrade that you ending up skipping?

I want to do the glass tiles for $1,000, but my concern is how many more things will come up ?? Does that make sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are some photos showing arctic ice with light and dark thinset options. The pool with white coping has arctic on white thinset with pale grey grout. Also below is a photo of my pool showing the tile on grey thinset with grey grout. Finally, there is a tile sample on black paper (which gives an effect similar to the Nero tile above).

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpg
    IMG_0121.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0981.jpg
    IMG_0981.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 431
I would suggest getting larger tiles also (at least 1x2 or larger rather than 1x1). The less grout the better and also 1x2 subway style will hide installation imperfections better as the only lines they have to keep straight are horizontal.

Can't thank you enough for your detailed response and pics Yankee!! I will have to agree ... I think the gray grout will be the way to go! I was trying to decide between midnight blue and emerald bay - but I think I will consider the Tahoe blue again.

Pushin - I will be going with the 1x2 tiles. Like this:
ee175075502a8d2449ac11a571273d9a.jpg

I really love this forum! So happy I found y'all!!

We also used the NPT Arctic Ice 1x2 but in the Lagoon color (gray thinset and light pewter grout), with buff limestone eased edge coping and French Gray pebblesheen with Shimmering Seas shells added. We wanted the waterline tile to blend with the surface. Photos really don't capture how beautiful it is. Here is a link with a few photos and a video (think you have to click it twice to play). Click "prime photos" link to view shallow/daytime
Prime Photos
This photo is colors at dusk/deeper end (but only 5 feet)
IMG_5553.jpg

We also used the NPT Arctic Ice 1x2 but in the Lagoon color (gray thinset and light pewter grout), with buff limestone eased edge coping and French Gray pebblesheen with Shimmering Seas shells added. We wanted the waterline tile to blend with the surface. Photos really don't capture how beautiful it is. Here is a link with a few photos and a video (think you have to click it twice to play). Click "prime photos" link to view shallow/daytime
Prime Photos
This photo is colors at dusk/deeper end (but only 5 feet)
View attachment 59968

Really Really beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.