Help with Waterline Tile and Pebble Tec! Newbie!

Tony, we chose Lightstream glass tile that is $35 a square foot to purchase and was the same cost to install ($17.50 a linear foot). We opted to have an accent wall in all glass and found a complimentary ceramic tile for the waterline and every 5th tile, did a glass tile on the waterline. It saved is $4000 by not doing all glass at the waterline.

If you can swing it, do what you want, bc its not like paint color where you can just easily change it. I have read a lot where the glass tiles with the mesh have issues popping off bc they don't get a great bond to the thin set bc of the wire between the tile and the thin set esp if you pick a small tile and not to mention if the glass is see through, you will see the wire through the glass. $25 a square foot installed, which is $12.50 a linear foot, sounds about right and I wish ours had been that much as it would have saved us more money. But if you can swing it, do it, and have no regrets.

Thanks for the input Shantelly. Lightstream is the most beautiful tile out there. But I would still run across the same install costs. I've heard the same about mesh-backing mosaic tiles coming off, but I have two showers in my home and an entire wall with mosaic glass tiles with mesh-backing, and no issues in 4 years. But I know submerged in water is different. I still intend to use glass tiles everywhere. I just have to keep searching...I still have a 4-6 weeks before I need to worry about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Tony! All total the tile plus installation came to an extra $1,000. I was pretty happy with that! I love it!!

Only $1,000 extra?!?! Ugh...the difference between CA & GA....Enjoy it, because it is beautiful!

Wow, that tile is spectacular!!! :cool:

I really like the Arctic series. I had selected Arctic Lagoon, but my PB told me it would be $25 sqft, just for the installation, due to the plastic-facing, which is more challenging to install. He suggested I go with a glass tile that has a mesh backing, which would be $10 sqft for the installation. These are upgrade prices on top of what I paid in the contract for tile installation. Because I plan on using glass tile for the waterline, step markers, and the spa spillover, the Arctic series is now off the table. :(

Was there a huge up-charge for the installation of your glass tile?

In SoCal, that $25 per square foot is actually a good price. We are paying $35 per square foot.

From what we were told, the cost is higher for glass tile (any glass tile) because of the surface preparation and not the backing.

If you can get the same prep for glass tile (with a mesh backing) at $10 per sf, I would consider that a steal.

In SoCal, that $25 per square foot is actually a good price. We are paying $35 per square foot.

From what we were told, the cost is higher for glass tile (any glass tile) because of the surface preparation and not the backing.

If you can get the same prep for glass tile (with a mesh backing) at $10 per sf, I would consider that a steal.

Thanks LDV. I thought so too. I was able to find an identical tile to Arctic Lagoon; Sunstone Lagoon (from Gresh1003's build), that has a mesh-backing, so I am waiting for my PB to get a sample of that.

Am I being too picky? My worksite is disgusting! Did everyone go through this stage?
a3743a96fdfff19c01e0f3c827543965.jpg
c143e153a7c99656da36257ef914407b.jpg
4d426da609040de8b89b4d2b69fded0f.jpg

Absolutely!!! Lol. Actually yours is not nearly as bad as most that I seen.
I actually would clean mine up every week so it's not so bad and I left a trash can in the backyard.
Once they finish the decking it gets better and your almost there

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think emerald bay will look nice with coping but may not go as well with the tiles. I think Tahoe would go well with tile and coping and is my pick.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and I wish our yard was only as trashed as yours. There is trash piled up in the spa and pool and up until Fri, a HUGE trash pile and stuff was flying all over our 3 acres any time the wind blew. Now we have trash in our pond but can't reach it. Luckily we don't have red clay but still, its normal and eventually you'll forget about it once all done.

I have Tahoe blue. We love it, particularly because the color varies a lot depending on how much sunlight is hitting it. Also, when swimming, the color is very vibrant, similar to what you see snorkeling in tropical waters. Finally, it matches the arctic ice tile perfectly.

LOL I saw all of the red clay and did not even have to look to remind me where you were----GA red clay..........slick and yuckie to the max!

I would go out and sweep the clay off of the patio and coping. You and I both know how it stains!

What will be going on the back side where there is not dirt?

What is next and when?

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.