Help with switching pool to saltwater system

Xspearo

Jul 14, 2019
Vineland, NJ
Hi, I been doing some research and would like to switch to a saltwater system for my above ground pool. During my research I found that since most of my parts are not resin it would be a bad idea to switch to saltwater. I was wondering if there is a protector I can spray on the metal parts like flex seal or something to help protect it?

Last edited:
Not sure what pool you have as you haven’t filled out your signature- it really helps us help u😊
I am assuming its an above ground pool.
But most resin above ground pools just have resin top rails & uprights- most all above ground pool walls are metal.
Many here have converted to swg’s regardless of their type above ground pool.
Coating the top rails of an older pool is definitely a good idea. Rustoleum is popular.
Generally if someone is going to buy a new pool with the intent of adding a swg in the future we recommend going the resin route. As most of their warranties are not effected by swg use.

If you’ve had your pool a few years & chlorinate with liquid chlorine you may already have quite a bit of salt in your water already.

You won’t see much difference in rust between SWG pool and liquid chlorine pool. Chlorine adds salts too, just not as fast. Have seen results upwards of half SWG pool without directly adding salt.
Not sure you can coat everything needed. Will have hidden rust in joints anyway even if can cost what is open. Maybe a polyurethane of some kind?

Not sure what pool you have as you haven’t filled out your signature- it really helps us help u😊
I am assuming its an above ground pool.
But most resin above ground pools just have resin top rails & uprights- most all above ground pool walls are metal.
Many here have converted to swg’s regardless of their type above ground pool.
Coating the top rails of an older pool is definitely a good idea. Rustoleum is popular.
Generally if someone is going to buy a new pool with the intent of adding a swg in the future we recommend going the resin route. As most of their warranties are not effected by swg use.

If you’ve had your pool a few years & chlorinate with liquid chlorine you may already have quite a bit of salt in your water already.

Sorry we received this pool from a friend so we are not 100% sure of model.
Yes, it is above ground.
Yea i watch some video with a guy and he said he would not recommend it so that is when I got to thinking about flex seal spray or CRC Marine Corrosion Inhibitor.
Is there any specific kind of Rustoleum you would recommend?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Reactions: Mdragger88
So after doing more research I came across a video of a guy that did a year test with different products. He bead blasted metal and coated them with the different products and placed them outside for a year. It seems the CRC 06026 Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor is the most durable. If you are interested or know someone I posted the video link below, one with all products tested and one with time stamp of CRC.

Real World Undercoating Test: Fluid Film, NH Oil, Krown and More...

Time Stamp: CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor

Last edited:
Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.