Help with slamming

blowing water INTO the pool.
Yes that pump is designed to increase water pressure in that specific return line into the pool. A pressure side cleaner operates on higher pressure water flowing through that return. It is not under vacuum.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Even when the pump is not running you usually see some flow from the return, although typically it is reduced flow compared to the other returns. If you switch it off do you feel a noticeable drop in flow? Usually Polaris pumps are loud enough when they’re on that you can definitely hear them running. Can you feel any vibration on the motor end of the pump when the switch is in the on position?
I will try the switching off when I am back home to see if the flow decreases. I hear no motor sounds when the Polaris pump is on. I do hear water in the tubing but nothing like a pump sound at all. Odd. In any case it sounds like that water is definitely circulating so hopefully with this long slamming it’ll get rid of algae there, right?

I will try the switching off when I am back home to see if the flow decreases. I hear no motor sounds when the Polaris pump is on. I do hear water in the tubing but nothing like a pump sound at all. Odd. In any case it sounds like that water is definitely circulating so hopefully with this long slamming it’ll get rid of algae there, right?
It’s normal to hear some water movement even with the Polaris off/inoperable. That water movement is from your regular circulation pump that feeds all the returns. The Polaris just takes this water and boosts the pressure in the single line it is attached to.

Yes any algae in that line will be killed during the SLAM.

Even when the pump is not running you usually see some flow from the return, although typically it is reduced flow compared to the other returns. If you switch it off do you feel a noticeable drop in flow? Usually Polaris pumps are loud enough when they’re on that you can definitely hear them running. Can you feel any vibration on the motor end of the pump when the switch is in the on position?
Ok following up (hopefully for the last time). It’s been 2 weeks since I started slamming the pool. Our pool is now a lovely blue color, but is still super cloudy. Like can’t see the bottom in the shallow end cloudy. I’m continuing to slam, brush, and backwash when my psi gets to 20ish. Just wondering if this sounds normal? I know sand filters can take forever to clear all that dead algae, but I just want to be sure I’m not missing something obvious. Probably going to go out and get some DE to add to the filter (saw an article about that on here) this weekend. Also, I’m still adding a decent amount of LC. Yesterday none was added due to a crazy work day, and last night around 9pm when I came home my FC was 6.5 when it had been 10-12 the night before. My CYA might be on the low side, but just want to be sure I’m not missing things. Thanks for the help.

Ok following up (hopefully for the last time). It’s been 2 weeks since I started slamming the pool. Our pool is now a lovely blue color, but is still super cloudy. Like can’t see the bottom in the shallow end cloudy. I’m continuing to slam, brush, and backwash when my psi gets to 20ish. Just wondering if this sounds normal? I know sand filters can take forever to clear all that dead algae, but I just want to be sure I’m not missing something obvious. Probably going to go out and get some DE to add to the filter (saw an article about that on here) this weekend. Also, I’m still adding a decent amount of LC. Yesterday none was added due to a crazy work day, and last night around 9pm when I came home my FC was 6.5 when it had been 10-12 the night before. My CYA might be on the low side, but just want to be sure I’m not missing things. Thanks for the help.
Nothing sounds out of the ordinary. Are you sure you’ve gotten all the large debris off the bottom? Even blindly scooping with a leaf rake to pull out as much organic debris as possible is helpful. Try and maintain SLAM level as often as possible as letting your FC fall will slow the process. You can stretch the recomendation to backwash at 25% over clean pressure a little but if you wish. A dirty filter will filter more effectively to a point, as the large crud caught in the filter helps catch the finer crud. If you add DE, be very careful with the dose amount, a little will help a lot but keep an eye on your pressure rise carefully. Keep scrubbing, dosing and pulling as much debris as you can out of the pool. Scrub all the nooks can crannies algae can hide in.

Reactions: Newdude
+1

Especially to blind scooping if need be. Do your best to maintain a pattern and with enough attempts, you'll get it all.

I watched mine go from green to milky in front of me when i got that last scoop of crud I'd missed on the first 15 attempts.

It wasn't even much, maybe 3/4 of the tennis racket like net sitting on the bottom. Eventually the green lightened enough that I saw one last dark area in the corner and scooping it out was like flipping a switch.

Reactions: katie.e.mccall
Get back with the
SLAM Process kill, kill, kill! The more often you test & replenish fc the faster you will reach the finish line 🏁
&
PSA* be sure to use pool grade DE
Hopefully that will be the helping hand you need to get you to
How Clear is TFP Clear?
Only add the de when you’ll be around to check the psi & backwash when needed.
It’s been 9 days - you’re in the P.O.P. Phase - Pool Owner Patience!
Keep going👍🏻

+1

Especially to blind scooping if need be. Do your best to maintain a pattern and with enough attempts, you'll get it all.

I watched mine go from green to milky in front of me when i got that last scoop of crud I'd missed on the first 15 attempts.

It wasn't even much, maybe 3/4 of the tennis racket like net sitting on the bottom. Eventually the green lightened enough that I saw one last dark area in the corner and scooping it out was like flipping a switch.
Yikes. Did my leaf rake again and got a shocking amount. Bet this is part of the issue at least.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yikes. Did my leaf rake again and got a shocking amount. Bet this is part of the issue at least.
It sure is. Keep scooping until you hate the leaf rake, then scoop some more. It’s a PITA but very very necessary to speed the process along.

Ok. I think (I hope) I’m still just in the pool-owner-patience phase. The pool is blue and only ever so slightly clearing up. Before I couldn’t see the bottom of the shallow end and now I can see at least a shape there. Filter running 24/7 and basically still slamming since it’s not meeting all the “end of slam” criteria. Got some D.e. To add to the sand filter in the hopes that it will speed up the clearing process. I’ve raked and robot vacuumed the bottom of the pool and am no longer getting any large debris like leaves or pine needles. Still brushing daily. Wondering if you have any further thoughts or just keep hacking?

Ok. I think (I hope) I’m still just in the pool-owner-patience phase. The pool is blue and only ever so slightly clearing up. Before I couldn’t see the bottom of the shallow end and now I can see at least a shape there. Filter running 24/7 and basically still slamming since it’s not meeting all the “end of slam” criteria. Got some D.e. To add to the sand filter in the hopes that it will speed up the clearing process. I’ve raked and robot vacuumed the bottom of the pool and am no longer getting any large debris like leaves or pine needles. Still brushing daily. Wondering if you have any further thoughts or just keep hacking?
Great 👍🏻
Keep at it! Keeping fc at slam level as often as possible.
The more often you do this the faster it will go. Make sure your scrubbing all the things
Its a good idea to stick a pole in the water at the same spot every day & snap a pic.
It helps you see the progress instead of just focusing on the fact its still cloudy. The weekend is coming so if you’re off work its a great time to do the DE dance while you’ll be around.

Reactions: katie.e.mccall