Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2021
Fredericksburg TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am battling green algae and am preparing to SLAM. I just bought a FAS-DPD test kit, my PH is at 7.2 but my CYA is 100. The chlorine CYA chart says that slam is not recommend if the CYA is over 70. Question: Do I keep draining the pool to try and lower the CYA (and keep adding muricate acid to maintain the PH level) or go ahead and raise the FC (currently at 7) to the recommend levels with the CYA this high? What should I do? 20,000 gal gunite pool in south Texas. Hard water, high PH. lots of sun. thank you.

When I drain water should I continue to add muriatic acid to maintain the pH? (When I add water PH increases).
No need. Don't waste time and chemicals. Focus on the CYA first. Once you are sure it's below 100, somewhere in that 70 range, then you can test/adjust the pH in preparation for the SLAM Process. If you only get the CYA down to 80 it's okay, it just means a higher FC SLAM level (31) versus the FC level of 28 for a CYA of 70.

You might take this opportunity to knock the CYA down to 30-40 to make it easier. This is the time of year when liquid chlorine starts to get hit and miss.
At 70 CYA - you're going to need to buy out the stock of Home Depot, basically.

Might just want to take your lumps and head down to 30... Also consider moving to SWCG. A weekly pool service will get you right back into this mess in just a few short months.

Use that pool water to water the grass and trees!

I am battling green algae and am preparing to SLAM. I just bought a FAS-DPD test kit, my PH is at 7.2 but my CYA is 100. The chlorine CYA chart says that slam is not recommend if the CYA is over 70. Question: Do I keep draining the pool to try and lower the CYA (and keep adding muricate acid to maintain the PH level) or go ahead and raise the FC (currently at 7) to the recommend levels with the CYA this high? What should I do? 20,000 gal gunite pool in south Texas. Hard water, high PH. lots of sun. thank you.
I was in the same situation as you are a month ago, also a new pool owner. My CYA was 110 and I tried doing the SLAM and I regret it so much. I literally dumped 32 gallons of chlorine in it before realizing how impossible it was going to be to keep the SLAM level up for that CYA. I went to Harbor Freight, bought a $65 sump pump and went to town draining it and SLAM became so much more easy.

So I HIGHLY recommend draining it first.

You might take this opportunity to knock the CYA down to 30-40 to make it easier. This is the time of year when liquid chlorine starts to get hit and miss.
At 70 CYA - you're going to need to buy out the stock of Home Depot, basically.

Might just want to take your lumps and head down to 30... Also consider moving to SWCG. A weekly pool service will get you right back into this mess in just a few short months.

Use that pool water to water the grass and trees!
thank you. What is SWCG?

I was in the same situation as you are a month ago, also a new pool owner. My CYA was 110 and I tried doing the SLAM and I regret it so much. I literally dumped 32 gallons of chlorine in it before realizing how impossible it was going to be to keep the SLAM level up for that CYA. I went to Harbor Freight, bought a $65 sump pump and went to town draining it and SLAM became so much more easy.

So I HIGHLY recommend draining it first.
Thank you, I think that is sound advice. I have been draining the pool the last few days and replacing the water with softened water from the house. CYA down to 80, will keep on draining.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.