Help with skimmer diverter valve

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
For the last 6.5 years that I've had this pool the diverter valve in the skimmer box has been stuck with the lever broken off. Today I finally took a basin wrench to it and discovered why it was stuck. It was one of these Pentair Admiral valves:

pentair-admiral-pool-skimmer-diverter-valve-1006-85002600.jpg
It was wrapped with about 1/4-mile of electrical tape to make the portion under the lever engage the threads in the skimmer box. Seeing as how there are threads in the skimmer where this valve goes, it makes sense to me that the proper replacement valve should have threads. However, I can't find any such thing. The Anthony diverter valve has threads, but it's much longer than this one.

How is this supposed to work?

The threads on the valve are so the valve will not move it’s position once it is set in place. The purpose of the valve is to divert the amount of suction between the skimmer and the main drain. The replacement valve needs to be at the proper length in order to be efficient in diverting the water.

The threads on the valve are so the valve will not move it’s position once it is set in place. The purpose of the valve is to divert the amount of suction between the skimmer and the main drain. The replacement valve needs to be at the proper length in order to be efficient in diverting the water.
The valve doesn't have threads, and I can't find one the right size that does. That's the problem.

Why do you need the valve at all?
Because otherwise it's always whatever the balance of flow is between the main drain on the skimmer works out to be with no obstructions. Sometimes I may want to skim only for more power, or sometimes I may want main drain only for mixing, or sometimes both.

What holds the Pentair 85002600 in position in the skimmer? That's the part I don't understand. Without the electrical tape it just floats up and out of the hole.

Any why is the skimmer box threaded but this part doesn't have threads?

Last edited:
Were you able to find a part number for your skimmer. You may need to check the lid for a part number and cross-reference?

If I'm not mistaken, the part shown in your post is a variable flow regulator designed to be used with a vacuum or suction cleaner?

Looking at it, I wonder if it's designed to be used with the Part Number 85002400 Trimmer Valve Plate as shown in the first diagram? Your trimmer plate is missing. It looks like the trimmer plate would slide over the arm on the regulator to keep it in place? The trimmer plate is designed to control suction between the skimmer and main drain.

You'll see question marks after most of my sentences because I'm really not sure?? Just some things to consider:)

The lid doesn't have a single letter or number on it anywhere. :(

I don't see how that trimmer plate could be installed. There's no screw hole or post next to the drain hole.

The diverter definitely goes in the hole, the one end sticks up out of the bottom to give you a place to attach a vacuum hose. The other end is supposed to screw in. I may order an Anthony style diverter to see if it works, but I suspect this is a skimmer box that is no longer made and no parts are available. The pool was built in the late '70s and I don't see any sign that the skimmer was replaced since.

dc32a0cc83f29da01855ccf447334e7e.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Interestingly, this poster reports that the adapter screws into the bottom.

That's confusing me more because there's someone who also has this skimmer and their adapter threads in while the pictures clearly show that it has no threads.

For what it's worth I called Pentair to ask them for assistance. They transferred me to three different technicians who were all unable to tell me how you insert the diverter in the Admiral skimmer. The last one promised to get back to me if he figured it out.

If the threaded Anthony style diverter doesn't work I think I'll try to locate somewhere with one of these skimmers in stock and see if I can look at how it's assembled.

It just screws into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer. Once screwed down all the way it's at 100% floor drain. You can rotate it counter-clockwise 180° to 100% skimmer, or anywhere in between.

I was surprised by how similar in size they were. The pictures led me to believe the American part was significantly longer than the Pentair version.

IMG_20211025_180305b.jpg

Here's a picture of the two diverters side by side. I suspect there was some kind of a design change between the time that these skimmers were made by American and the newer Pentair Admirals that explains the different diverter design. The only thing to note for other users is that the "arrow" indicator on the American design points the opposite direction of the Pentair design. So for 100% skimmer flow you have the arrow pointing away from the line going to the pump. In the newer Pentair design the arrow points towards the line going to the pump for 100% skimmer flow.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.