Help with pool store readings until test kit comes in!--Continued

Shock level in particular isn't crucial, but you do want to make very sure that FC never gets down near zero. Raising it up well above normal will help insure that.

This kind of situation is unstable. Any kind of mistake and a low level algae problem will turn into a full fledged algae bloom.

Well, I've already left, but what would be the advantage of taking the water from 9 to 30-something knowing I'm coming home in a few days to drain a bunch more water?
You are correct, no need wasting chlorine until you have the time to dedicate to the water replacement and go through the entire SLAM Process.

With that being said, "normal" FC for CYA 100 is closer to 20.

Tim, 20? The chart says target is 12 for cya of 100...am I misreading it?

Technically 12 is the correct daily target for CYA of 100. Assuming that you are going to test again tomorrow and add more. Also, assuming that you are in a normal 2-3ppm chlorine usage situation and assuming that your CYA level is actually 100. I suspect that he is trying to hedge the level up for you giving the other factors consideration. Possible algae, higher than normal daily chlorine consumption. These are all factors that you should be taking into consideration when determining the dosage of chlorine for your pool. And there is nothing wrong with aiming higher (but still below shock level) to be on the safe side if conditions warrant it.

Again, the critical factor here is to never let your FC level drop below the minimum level for your CYA level.

Also guys, keep in mind we've been monsooning for a few days now., with flash flooding all over the place..between me pumping out chlorine and putting in fresh water along with rains and piles of leaves getting into the water, the chlorine consumption might not be too unusual....

Yeah, without a doubt on that rain! The lake by us has gone up 13' in 2 months, it is more full than it has been in many years! I have had to add CYA to my pool three times and probably need to add again due to rain overflow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another consideration I hadn't thought was relevant till I read past the cya chart that matters to me now...we are planning going salt soon...should I still shoot for 40 and raise when I go salt, or just come down to 60 and then get ready for cell install sooner rather than later?

Might as well save the water and just bring it down to 70-80. It is manageable to have your CYA at 70 for a short time as long as you maintain appropriate FC levels. It is just a bigger problem when SLAMing because the FC levels are so high for a SLAM.

I read that, how important is IMPORTANT? Reason I ask, is my TA is a bit high, and I'm wondering if I should work to lower it before I install, or if it's something I can work on post-install? Also, my fill water CH is 250, and last time I checked CH during one of my drain/refill tests, I had only gotten down to the 400s (from 1000, so it was a good decrease, but still higher than the page calls for...)

My TA seems to want to be 110 in my pool, I keep lowering it to 70/80 the last two years with acid and aeration. Which isn't so bad since my ph tends to rise so I need to add acid anyway and my wife likes the waterfall on. Lowering my TA to 50 or 60 this year is going to be my project to see if I can stabilize my ph.

My CH crept up to 450 late last year and was there earlier this year. I need to test again now that it has rained many feet. I'm expecting/hoping it to be down quite a bit, otherwise I might need to work on it a little.

I think as long as you are vigilant with keeping ph under 7.8 that you can work your TA down.

Others can comment more on managing high CH, but there are a lot of people here managing high CH with SWG.

At the moment, my pH seems to be holding steady at 7.2...I have a spa overflow into the pool and some of the jets are pointed up in the pool, but the pH hasn't seemed to rise (of course I've been swapping water too, so...)

I'm supposed to get home sometime tomorrow; I'm going to start with getting the draining going again, and am gonna vacuum whatever is left from the storm earlier this week straight out of the hose bib since I'm draining anyway...FC is at 17 right now, which is lined up with what I expect based on what's been added recently.

I suppose before I start draining, I'll get a full test set...I've been just checking FC, CYA, and sometimes pH when the FC is below 10, but probably wouldn't hurt to get a new CH and TA reading just to know where I stand currently before my next drain exercise.

I suppose before I start draining, I'll get a full test set...I've been just checking FC, CYA, and sometimes pH when the FC is below 10, but probably wouldn't hurt to get a new CH and TA reading just to know where I stand currently before my next drain exercise.
Not really any point in testing parameters that won't exist when you refill.....they'll change.

That said, you could test after you drain and then test the parameters of your fill water to have a rough idea of where you will end up when the refill is complete.

Not really any point in testing parameters that won't exist when you refill.....they'll change.

That said, you could test after you drain and then test the parameters of your fill water to have a rough idea of where you will end up when the refill is complete.

I was thinking of this only because I am not doing a refill the conventional way, since there's pretty much standing water on the ground in some places around the pool, so I'm adding as I'm taking away, which means the math is fuzzy at best since there is some mixing and wasting of water. Also, I'm draining right now under the aim of reducing CYA...it's entirely possible (and probable based on the most recent full readings I have) that even after I get the CYA to a proper level, the CH will still be much higher than my fill water, since according to the poolcalc, I need to replace another 30% of the water to CYA correct, but another 83% to get my water to 280CH (based on 425 from my last full reading and 250CH fill water).

At any rate, I didn't take a reading before I started draining when I got home today, so we'll see what it looks like tomorrow after a day of pumping. Hopefully that will get my CYA in the proper range for salt, as I've got a circupool Si45+ coming tomorrow (originally was going to get a Hayward AR40, but the discountsaltpools sales people convinced me otherwise), and I'll be able to install with things at the levels they are at my next reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.