Help with pool size

AllieAdams

May 29, 2020
Arkansas
Getting ready to order a pool kit from pool warehouse in the next week and I am unsure of what size pool to get. I know I want a deep end pool but the two sizes I’m stuck on are 18 x 36 and 20 x 40…alright pool peeps…which one do you recommend based on your experience. We are a family of 5. Thanks!

Most folks want a big pool, especially with kids. Do you know what your easement are for your property? You can get some rope, yarn, flour, anything that you can see in the grass and mark off the size of the pool, keeping it out of the easements. That will give you an idea if the pool will be big enough, and if you have room enough for the pool you want. Mark off pool float sized areas to see how crowded it might be. Try to find out if there are any other factors that may limit where and how large your pool can be. Do you have a septic field? Underground utilities? Things like that?

Even the "smaller" size is pretty big. It will probably put you in the 20-24K gallon range. Larger pools require more chlorine and chemicals. There are many more options for salt water chlorine generators (SWGs) for pools in the 20K gallon range. There are only a few for pools larger than 20K gallons and they are more costly. We've been happy with both pools we've owned in the 18-20K gallon range.

Just my 2 cents...

Best of luck on the build!

We will have underground utilities and a septic tank…none of which have been put in yet. We are building a home right now and in the early stage. Our contractor has just finished the framing/bricking/roofing. Home sits on 8 acres of land so plentyyyy of room for the 20x40. Will have SWG. Thanks for the idea on mapping out floats!

Even the "smaller" size is pretty big. It will probably put you in the 20-24K gallon range. Larger pools require more chlorine and chemicals. There are many more options for salt water chlorine generators (SWGs) for pools in the 20K gallon range. There are only a few for pools larger than 20K gallons and they are more costly. We've been happy with both pools we've owned in the 18-20K gallon range.

Just my 2 cents...

Best of luck on the build!
Thanks. I was thinking 48 inch walls and deep end depth to be 9ft. So that put us at about 36,000 gallons with a 20x40. The SWG I found on pool warehouse I believe went to 40,000 gallons.

The volume ratings on SWGs are based on running 24/7 at a rate of 100%. TFP recommends sizing the SWG for double the pool volume. This provides for more flexibility in runtimes and no chance the SWG will not be able to keep up when higher demand is required. For a 36,000 gallon pool you would need go with a 60K system, the largest of the non-commercial systems.

The volume ratings on SWGs are based on running 24/7 at a rate of 100%. TFP recommends sizing the SWG for double the pool volume. This provides for more flexibility in runtimes and no chance the SWG will not be able to keep up when higher demand is required. For a 36,000 gallon pool you would need go with a 60K system, the largest of the non-commercial systems.
Thank you. I did see the 60k system. Oddly, when I spoke to an agent at pool warehouse, the 40k is what he recommended. I’m a complete newbie and there is so much research I clearly need to do.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
We have an 18 x 36 and wish we’d gotten the 20 x 40. The shallow end is small on ours. It’s fine, but if we had it to do over, we’d go bigger.

We have an 18 x 36 and wish we’d gotten the 20 x 40. The shallow end is small on ours. It’s fine, but if we had it to do over, we’d go bigger.
Thank you for input!! I have heard people say you can’t regret going bigger, but you can regret going too small. My hubby decided we should go with a 20x44. Our back porch is 44 feet long, and he thought it would look best to have the pool the same length as the back porch. My children are so excited for next summer!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.