FLRob2954

Aug 9, 2021
Clearwater Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello. I'm still trying to get a handle on how my pool works. There is a skimmer, a vacuum port, 2 return jets, and some sort of inlet at the bottom. There are 3 valves which you can see in the attached pic. 2 have always been open and the middle one closed. The port/jets work very strong. I'm thinking each valve is for one of the jets? Is the middle valve that's been closed for the bottom inlet? Should that be open? Thanks

Attachments

• 20211007_155946.jpg
    20211007_155946.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211007_155929.jpg
    20211007_155929.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20211007_155954.jpg
    20211007_155954.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 15
The 3 ball valves are on your suction line. The three pipes likely lead to your two skimmers and the main drain in your pool floor.

If you determine which valves turn each skimmer off then the remaining one is to your main drain. Keep an eye on your pump as you work with the valves and don't let your pump get starved for water and run dry.

The 3 ball valves are on your suction line. The three pipes likely lead to your two skimmers and the main drain in your pool floor.

If you determine which valves turn each skimmer off then the remaining one is to your main drain. Keep an eye on your pump as you work with the valves and don't let your pump get starved for water and run dry.
Ah OK so one valve is the skimmer, one is for the vacuum, the 3rd which is closed is for the drain. I wasn't sure if that was purely a drain or if it's supposed to be used for circulation. Thanks

Ah OK so one valve is the skimmer, one is for the vacuum, the 3rd which is closed is for the drain. I wasn't sure if that was purely a drain or if it's supposed to be used for circulation. Thanks

The main drain helps water circulation by stirring the water from the bottom while the skimmer pulls water from the top.

Having your main drain open a bit also helps ensure that you do not run your pump dry if your one skimmer gets clogged.

Got it. Thanks. Will open it a little.

You may find your vacuum does not work as well. But a vacuum pool cleaner is the worst type of pool cleaner. Consider getting a robot pool cleaner which will clean better and not require you to bias your suction system to make the vaccum work.

Reactions: FLRob2954
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.