Help with pool covering, tried everything!

Aug 11, 2015
St Johns, MI
We live in Michigan, want to close soon. We’ve had our pool 8 years, and our deck surrounds approximately 2/3 of the pool, with it butting right up to the rails. (Design flaw, we now know...) We trued covering the first few years, and tried everything—clips, water bags, stakes with tie downs, filled jugs, even weights. The cover would rip, things fell in. It was disastrous every year till we finally just stopped covering it the last 3-4 years. It isn’t terrible in the spring because we don’t have trees in the backyard, so as long as we get to it before an algae bloom it is doable. However, I feel like it’s putting more weather and wear on our liner (which is already super bleached out from struggling with pesky algae this year on pool bottom which never really did clear, but a story for a different day). Any ideas?? Additionally we get a lot of wind. So maybe it’s better to leave uncovered. I would appreciate any thoughts. TIA

Attachments

• DEB1BF4B-AD84-4681-AF2C-ECCD867D555F.jpeg
    DEB1BF4B-AD84-4681-AF2C-ECCD867D555F.jpeg
    262.9 KB · Views: 36
If you keep pool water hi, and a large inflatable in the center of the pool, pitching the cover towards the sides, so that and rain or snow runs off, it would seem like your cover would not have too much stress on it.
I considered this. My dilemma is how to secure it as we cannot get the cover between the deck and pool. And wind then comes up under the deck and cover, blowing it and anything else holding it down, or tearing it. Maybe just no good way!

I would cover the open areas on the outside of the deck with a tarp. You could also build something that would look nicer if stained/painted to match the rest. That would greatly limit the wind getting under the cover on top of the deck.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.