Help with Pool Bids in Oklahoma

ptjackson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 11, 2007
Looking for advice here. We got a couple of bids back from some pool builders and they just seem way out of line to me but it's possible I'm the one who doesn't get it There were two bids from local guys here in oklahoma. I wanted to get a vinyl liner to try and keep costs down. For a Roman pool 18X36 (diving) one is coming in at 34K and another at 43K. Without going into all the details both are "standard" pools with pretty much zero frills, the higher priced one has a salt system ,5 ft of plain concrete decking, and a diving board and the cheaper bid has 3 ft of decking, chlorine system, diving board extra. But are using name brand equipment, neither with a heater, spas, waterfalls etc. Plain white lights on both and 8ft steps on both.

At first I thought the 34K was a lot until I got the second bid. Now I've seen pool builder sites that offer the same thing here in oklahoma for approx 25K but haven't called them for fear of it's a get what you pay for business. But can someone tell me just based on the limited information you have if those seem high to you? I guess what I'm asking is should I keep searching or give up my dream for a pool this year and wait a while?

pt,

I'm not the best guy to answer your question. Others with more recent experience will be along soon.

That said, it's my general impression that those quotes are a bit high. I think you'll hear others come on with somewhat lower pricing.

Local soil conditions can affect cost, but that would be high here. I'd expect you could do that pool for $25K around here. For $43K you could have a nice pool.

You'll probably want more concrete than that on at least part of the perimeter for a dining/sunbathing area, which will drive the price up more.

Try to post some specifics. Many pool builders do a poor job of keeping the customer's best interest in mind when choosing equipment.

Ask somebody local who's had a pool built for builder recommendations.

My opinion is very close to John T's. That would be high here in the Houston area, but there was only unconsolidated soil, no bedrock, boulders, etc.

My pool (built last July) is gunite with a PebbleTec aggregate finish (a rather expensive option), an Intelliflo pump, a huge filter, huge heater, salt water chlorine generator, auto cleaner w/booster pump. Most, if not all of these options are of the higher end and we had close to 700 sq ft of stamped concrete decking installed. Our price comes in-between the two that you quoted. The pool you are describing could be done for $20-25K here.

But again, more research into your local market would be better to find out the truth. Maybe you could ask the 25K guys for some references (home owners they built pools for) and ask them if they are happy and if you can come see their pool.

Good luck and congratulations on beginning this process!

Thanks for the reply's thus far. There is a guy in my office who had a pool built about 7 years ago comparable to what I was talking about for 22K. He called his pool builder and said that he could replicate for about 24K today. I've seen this guy's pool and even 7 years later it looks good. So I am encouraged. If that can be done then with the extra in my budget maybe I can add some cool features like some of the lights etc. He is coming out on Saturday.

As for specifics on the other quotes, I would say that it was all name brand equipment standard size pumps. Again it was as plain Jane as you could get. As for the dig I live on 5 acres so they could just haul the dirt to the back of the property and while we have a lot of clay there isn't any rock or hard digging. The low end was at the top of my budget and I wanted to have at least enough money for a nice shrubbery (not too big) :)

In any case I'll update my progress just to have a thread in the index for people are in similar situation.

Thanks again for all the info on this board archived for people like me to read.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.