Help with pool automation

Dec 1, 2015
Cypress, Texas
My pool is 5 years old and i would like to add automation. I am having trouble getting pool companies to even respond. I have received quote from a company my neighbor used. I have Pentair equipment. Here are the quotes:

Pentair:
Easy Touch 8 1770.00
Wireless Control 840.00
Labor 1200.00

Total 3,810

Jandy:
Jandy Power Center 689.00
PDA PS6 1700.00
Labor 1200.00

Total 3,589

Can i get your thoughts on the prices and what system is better?

Thank you.

I am not really up on the automation stuff, I am trying to learn for my own build, but everything that I have read seems to indicate that you want the automation system to be the same as the equipment. @Jimrahbe has been very helpful in offering advice for my particular setup, perhaps he can chime in and offer some advice.

Jay,

What is it that you want the automation to do??

Automation is best added when the pool is being built. It can be done later, but often decking and other things will get in the way.. As an example I added an EasyTouch to an existing pool and was unable to "easily" control the pool light due to the original position of the control switch. It could have been done for a huge cost, but just was not worth the effort.

I have a simple pool and love my EasyTouch with ScreenLogic... But.. if I were to build a new pool today, I would use the new Pentair IntelliCenter..

Tell us more about what you "think" automation is going to be able to do for you and your pool, and we will be able to provide you with more info.

If you are going to hire out the job, then your prices look about right to me. Installing a basic automation system is not hard to do, so you are paying a lot for the labor and warranty.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jay,

What is it that you want the automation to do??

Automation is best added when the pool is being built. It can be done later, but often decking and other things will get in the way.. As an example I added an EasyTouch to an existing pool and was unable to "easily" control the pool light due to the original position of the control switch. It could have been done for a huge cost, but just was not worth the effort.

I have a simple pool and love my EasyTouch with ScreenLogic... But.. if I were to build a new pool today, I would use the new Pentair IntelliCenter..

Tell us more about what you "think" automation is going to be able to do for you and your pool, and we will be able to provide you with more info.

If you are going to hire out the job, then your prices look about right to me. Installing a basic automation system is not hard to do, so you are paying a lot for the labor and warranty.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you for your response. I would like to turn on/off my pool, turn the valves when i want to heat up just the hot tub, turn on/off the heater, and control my stenner pump. The lights and water fall switches are not near the pool equipment, so i probably wont be able to control them with the automation system.

Jay,

In general pool automation is stuck in the 70's and is somewhat expensive for what you get..

Some of your options are...

The EasyTouch "lite" Pool and Spa control.. With ScreenLogic PC, & phone control costs about $900 bucks.. Has very limited functions and only space for 4 programs but would be able to do what you listed above.. No load center for your circuit breakers, but you most likely have one at your pool now. You would still have to pay someone to install it for you.. I would never recommend this model for a new pool, but it would work for you.. It has 4 relays.. one for your pump (I assume single speed pump), one for your Stenner, leaving you two spare relays, if you don't wire the lights. Comes with two valve drivers..

A real EasyTouch Pool and Spa ET-4... Has a load center, can store 12 programs, without ScreenLogic... 4 relays.

A real EasyTouch Pool and Spa ET-8... 8 relays.. without ScreenLogic

ScreenLogic add on...

New IntelliCenter...

The key is how much do you really want to spend for what you are going to get..

The cheapest system listed will switch between the Pool mode and the Spa mode, it will allow you to turn on the heater and control the temp from your phone, it will allow you to control your Stenner..

Not sure this helped, but if not, just start asking questions.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.