help with PH-Alkalinity Adjustment App

Mozartk626

Mar 31, 2021
Houston
I've been using the pH-Alkalinity Adjustment Tool app for some time now, but I have to admit I don't completely understand what it's telling me to do. I understand there are two sections: pH Priority and Alkalinity Priority. What I don't get is whether I'm supposed to be following BOTH of these to get an end result, or just ONE depending on if my goal is to change pH or alkalinity. What really throws me is, when I change the inputs for one section, it alters the dose amounts in the other section.

For example:
My current pH is 7.7. Alkalinity is sitting at 63. I want to get my alkalinity up, so to me, I should be focused on the alkalinity priority section.

1. I enter my inputs for pool volume, etc.
2. I enter current pH = 7.7 and current alkalinity = 63 at the top.
3. I go down to Alkalinity Priority (without changing anything in the pH Priority section) and set my target Alk at 90.
4. This gives me a new pH of 7.75 by doing the following:
- Add 6.3 oz acid
- Add 48.0 oz sodium bicarb

Ok, got it! But... here is what makes NO SENSE to me: if I try to back into the same result using the pH priority section, the recommended doses and results are wildly different:
1. I enter 7.75 as my target pH.
2. It now tells me to ad 0.9 oz soda ash, and I'm done. AND, my new alkalinity does not change AT ALL. It's still 63.
3. I get that we're using soda ash instead of baking soda, so that probably has this result (pH goes up, alk stays the same).
BUT... as soon as I changed the target pH to 7.75, now the recommended doses in the Alk Priority section have changed without changing anything else. Now the Alk Priority section (again, without changing a single thing) is telling me to add 0.1 oz soda ash and 42.5 oz baking soda to achieve the same result of 7.75 pH and 90 alk.

So how should I be using this app? pH first and then alk, or just one or the other. Why do the inputs in one section change the dosages of the other section?

What app are you using?

EDIT: Also, how are you chlorinating? Unless using trichlor/dichlor (powdered shock / tablets), a TA above 50 is fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.