Foristell, MO
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Looking for some advice on where my returns should be and if I have enough or too many. Putting in an 18x36 flat bottom rectangular pool (4 foot depth) with a full-length sun ledge on one entrance and full-length stairs on the other side. The question is where do I position the returns to get good water movement across the steps and sun ledge without disrupting flow? The picture below is what I have in mind. Does this look like a good plan? Thanks.Pool Return.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have mine (2) pointed from the shallow end down the long wall at the deep end.

I stuck a flag out back and made notes while I waited for the build. And waited. And waited. And about 70% of the time, the wind was blowing shallow to deep. A slight breeze will overpower any skimming, so explore how yours will be getting hit.

One of the weather apps/sites probably has the wind direction averages broken down for you already. If my wind went with the long walls, I would have done 3 returns/skimmers instead of 2 on the skinny walls.

Another method, is by reviewing your weather app on your phone. My pool's deep end is N and shallow end S. On a clock 12 and 6. My skimmers, on a clock, are approximately between 10-11 on the deep end and 5-6 on the shallow, diagonally from each other. When I look at the weather app on my iPhone, I can see how the wind is "supposed" to be blowing and surprisingly the majority of the time it is blowing towards one of the skimmers. Except right now the wind is blowing straight N. So today, no wind is pushing towards the skimmers but the cover is closed anyway.

Reactions: Newdude
The way your skimmer and returns are setup you will have circulation around the sun ledge and not much circulation by the steps.

It is better if you put both skimmers on one of the long walls, depending on the pevailing winds and then put the returns on the opposite walls. Then you have flow from one side of the pool to the other.

Pool Return.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
I would delete the upper left return next to the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.